How to handle bleeding? Do you wait or try and stop it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

ok so im very used to bleeding now, it happens at least every two weeks and for a couple of days at a time during BM's

i have crohns so can not tolerate high fiber and stool is always diarroeah

what i want to know is when the blood os dripping out for like 20-40 minutes whilst on the loo should i try and clot this somehow or do i just let it drop until it stops on its own? do i jump in a bath? ice? i want to find a quicker way to make it clot and stop dripping out?

have tried halo surgery but did not work well and bleeding ended up worse

and i cant not afford time off work for a full hemroidectomy

i would try alternative options but would need to know it would work for bleeding

pain i can handle because compared to crohns pain it is much more managable

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i had very similar bleeds to yours.. sitting on the loo dripping blood. the only thing that worked for me was applying ice which would usually be quite effective and stopped the bleed. i always wanted to stop it as quick as possible as it was freaking me out.. initially the bleeding would occur after BMs but became more regular and got unpredictable in the sense that even passing a wind could start a long bleed. unfortunately, no conservative method of getting rid of hems worked for me and they just got progressively worse despite my healthy lifestyle. it was the main reason i went for hemorrhoidectomy as it impacted pretty much every aspect of my life. i really hope you can find a solution that works for you and stops the bleeds.

• Posted

how soon do you apply the ice? and do you apply it directly on to the hem please?

if i could afford the time off work i would 100% get them removed but i just couldnt afford time off 😦

• Posted

at the beginning i waited to see if the bleed would stop.. if it didnt then i would get the ice. later on when i knew it took ages i would put the ice immediately. i usually put 4-5 ice cubes in the small freezer bag and held it to the hems directly. sometimes this was too messy so i hopped in the bathub and sat on the pack there.

it is hard to find the time to take-off from work.. unfortunately it got to the stage for me where i would get the bleeds at work sitting on a toilet for hours so it really was pointless to continue like that. i actually also had colonoscopy done at the same time as hemorrhoidectomy to rule out any other issues as the amount of bleeding seemed rather excessive. luckily it turned out all to be 'just' hems. my surgeon said they were huge (3cm) but i still came 'only' 2nd in his '2019 biggest' telly.. not a contest that i really ever wanted to be in though 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.