how to handle GP

Posted , 2 users are following.

hI all i has not best of years this year for my health the short version i had a motorcycle collision in late jan this year and had a fractured t8 vertebrae and the consultant aked if i ever had any orther back injuries which i said no wind forward to september and i had an appoiment with a counsulting orthopedic sepecilist for the compensation claim  and he said after reviewing my mri scan of the back fracture that i have got AS  and make apppoiment to see GP which i will do. but i dont know how he is going to react espiccally after the last couple of months with a failing leg ulcer, the motorcyle accident, kidney stone, a benign enlarged prostate and anxity/panic attacks as well i had a bad last 5-10 months more so the last 4 months.i need to see the GP but which way is going to get the results.???

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

  • Posted

    You need to get a referral to see a Rheumatologist. They will run some tests and may do some more imaging tests (X-ray, bone scan...). They will look for damage in your SI joints (buttock area). Damage and pain to your SI joints is called sacroilitis and a key factor in the diagnosis. They will also look at possible damage to your spine (and look for fusing). Have you had pain and redness in eye? This is called iritis and is common amongst 30-40% of AS patients. With blood tests, they will likely look at ESR and CRP levels (inflammation markers). There is also a gene test that looks for a gene called HLA B27. This isn't really a good way to diagnose as some people who do have AS can test negative - like me!

  • Posted

    Ref the pain in the very lower back-buttock I thought that could have been a result of the accident but I am not so sure now and in the past I have had very sore and itchy eyes which was put down to contact dermatitis but the big give away is being very stiff and sore when getting up in the morning.
    • Posted

      Morning stiffness is also a symptom docs use to make a diagnosis and how LONG you are stiff after waking is also important. Iritis is extremely painful. You would know if you had it. You are very sensitive to light and it feels like your eye ball is badly bruised. You temporarily have blurred vision and takes a couple weeks to be restored. It needs to be treated aggressively with steroid drops and other medicine if it's really, really bad.

      Hopefully you get some tests done to either rule it out or diagnose you. Good luck!

  • Posted

    well the Gp was very helpful he had stand up did a few twist and bends had a quick read through the consulting otherpedic surgon report for the RTA i had in january and then prescriped me amitriptyline for the night pain and refered me to the Rheumatologist .


  • Posted

    update 6-12-16

    just had appoiment with Gp and the blood test came back positive which as came as no suprise and he has now referred me to the Rheumatologist now the wait for a hospital appoitment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.