How to heal Anal Fissures.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've suffered with a fissure for the past two months or so. It got to the point where I couldn't do anything, but sit home. As a law student, this clearly affected not only my school experience and learning, but also my life outside of school. Therefore, I was determined to fix this problem. 

At first, I wanted to determine the severity of the fissure without going to a GI. I attempted to fix it by changing my diet. It certainly improved, but it did not heal. Every time I had a bowel movement, the fissure would tear again; starting an endless cycle of pain. Finally, I determined that I needed to use some form of ointment designed to effectively treat the fissure. In the following, I will elaborate the process of healing the fissure. To what the degree of strength, I cannot state because I'm not a GI nor have I been to one. Yet, I can state that I am comfortable enough now that I can play sports and be active again. 

First Step: Change your diet. I am a vegetarian, mostly vegan in essence. Therefore, stopping the consumption of meat was not a problem with me. Yet, I advise everyone, at least until the pain subsides, to stop eating meat as well as grains (Rice, Pasta, Bread, etc.). I'm not saying eat vegetables only, but soups and beans are perfectly fine. Furthermore, drink enough water (at least 80 oz). Hydration is key to a soft stool. 

Second Step: Buy Miralax and stool softeners. After trial and error, I have found that without some form of laxative, like Miralax, a fissure will not heal because every bowel movement will tear it apart. I take one cap of Miralax and 3 stool softeners from Costco (any will do fine). The Miralax, unlike Dulcolax, adds water to the stool instead of causing spasms to the organs that change the solidity of the stool. Effectively, the Miralax changes the solidity of the stool to look like Soft Serve Ice Cream which will not re-tear the fissure because it won't apply that much pressure on the tear. Give the Miralax, 1-3 days to work after taking the first cap. I didn't see a change in my stool until after the first day.

Third Step: Buy a stool to squad for a bowel movement and buy a sitz bath if you wish. This is not required, but I have one and it absolutely alleviates the pain. This step is simple. 

Fourth Step: Admittedly, I do not know which is having the greatest impact on the fissure, but I recently bought Dr. Butler's Hemorrhoid & Fissure Ointment as well as Forces of Nature: Fissure Control. It's been two days since I applied both, and I am pain free albeit I still feel a tiny, tiny, sensation when I sit in the crappy law school chairs. 

There it is. That is it. It's not easy, but it is certainly not hard. It takes time, but it will be liberating to be the person you were before this evil cursed your life. 

Disclosure: I'm not a doctor. This process worked for me, but it may certainly vary in efficiency. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi endri

Did you have tiny amount of blood too on your toilet paper??

I’m doing all the things you said but still can’t seem to stop the drop or two of blood 

I’m seeing a pelvic physio who has shown me that due to some muscle issue I was actually straining without realising.  So perhaps there had been a lot of strain and trauma that has to heal 

But I’d love love love the bleeding to stop 

• Posted

Yes, I did have some bleeding occur as a result of a bowel movement. Since I started this process, the bleeding has suppressed even though when a bowel movement commences, I still feel a sensation because it has not healed completely; it's only been 3 days now. 

But, as I stated, I do not know the severity of my own fissure. I only know the severity of the pain I felt. Personally, I stopped wiping with toilet paper because it irritates the vessels. Now, I use my sitz bath as a form of Bidet; clean and no irritation. 

I'm curious to know how long you've used this particular method or a similar one. 

• Posted

U mean the physio?? 

I’m on my 10th day of using the stool and belly breathing 

So far the bm seems a lot easier and quick (I’m still on movichol)  so I sometimes wonder why I’m still bleeding but the physio thinks I’ve just caused a lot of strain on the anal mucosa for so long so In time it’ll settle 🤞

• Posted

That seems outside the scope of my own experience with a fissure. Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience nor knowledge to further aid you in that regard.
  • Posted

Yes, I did have some bleeding occur as a result of a bowel movement. Since I started this process, the bleeding has suppressed even though when a bowel movement commences, I still feel a sensation because it has not healed completely; it's only been 3 days now. 

But, as I stated, I do not know the severity of my own fissure. I only know the severity of the pain I felt. Personally, I stopped wiping with toilet paper because it irritates the vessels. Now, I use my sitz bath as a form of Bidet; clean and no irritation. 

I'm curious to know how long you've used this particular method or a similar one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.