How to improve gait?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So almost 10 months since I had a terrible sprain but my gait isn't becoming normal like it was earlier. I'm not limping anymore like I used to but it seems like I can't use my injured leg much while walking. There's more pressure on the uninjured leg. I don't have much pain but just a bit of swelling. My physio therapist is clueless and just advises me to walk a lot.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

In my opinion exercises is best way forward to increasing ankle movement.

Lunges and more lunges, onto a step / stairs, putting pressure on staying in that position.

Good luck

• Posted

Yeah I saw some YouTube videos and started doing lunges kind of but I can't do it that easily yet. I'm standing on the injured leg twice a day and repeat it 3 times alternating with the uninjured leg. What is the exercise with step / stairs?

• Posted

Is your range of motion back to normal?

• Posted

I don't know how much is back..but it seems to be better than it was months ago

• Posted

Are u based in the UK? I am si weeks post fractured fibula stable fracture so no surgery required. Wearing an air boot which is driving me mad. Feel like taking it off.

Any tips would be welcome please. Thank you.

• Posted

Nope not in UK. The only tip I can give is take it slow. These things test your patience a lot 😦

• Posted

Hi, my accident was in September. Am able to walk about but habit makes me limp. I now try to think before i put my foot forward and take my time. Cant wear my normal shoes yet as foot swells up in the evening. Can't wait to get back to normal. Happy days to come hopefully. Good luck sorry cant help

• Posted

yeah I know that feel 😦 these ankle injuries are worst

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.