How to increase tge chances of bacterial detection in urine culture test?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I will be doing a urine culture and sensitivity test in couple of days. So far, I have done the culture test three times in more that two months. Every time it came back negative. I was just thinking if keeping the urine sample with me (in a container) for 48 hours before handing it over to lab will increases the chances of detecting bacterias?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't see how that will help. You want relatively fresh urine. What could help is to use the first void of the day for a sample because that is more concentrated. Just make sure to get it to the lab within a couple of hours after voiding into a sterile container. You can refrigerate it until your ready to leave the house.

So curious, why do you think you have a UTI given the negative tests?

Jim

• Posted

Because I am not getting 100% reief. My urine frequency is still not normal. Although, no burning as of now but a mild pain in penis still persit but not while peeing.
  • Posted

My doctor informed me recently that urine sample are safe to keep for  for up to six hours if kept refrigerated not sure if this is correct or not but I am taking advice from the medical team
  • Posted

With all the possibilities applied to increase the chances of detection, the test came back negative for any bacterial growth, however, this time the pus cells range came 6 - 8 per hpf which is not healthy urine. Earlier three reports showed normal pus cells.
    • Posted

Hey Sky, that is the same story we all get from standard tests. I am sure I dont have to tell you, if there are pus cells present, there is an infection.

INSIST on having the DNA test done, and send prostate fluid, and not just a semen sample.

I just sent my second one in Tuesday, hoping for good results, but I am realistic, and know how hard bacteria is to get rid of in the prostate.

But if you do not find out what bacteria you have,and how much. Your hope of ever getting rid of it are slim to none.

Good luck Joe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.