How to interpret Blood tests for mineral levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had multiple blood tests following the initial diagnosis of osteoporosis. These range through , minerals calcium, Mg, Phosphate in the blood, and others measuring minerals, infections etc in urine. From what I understand, mineral levels in the blood (except for iron?) give no indication of levels in the bone, as the body balances the levels in the blood by pulling  calcium/phosphorous/Mg etc from bones. If blood levels are outside of the healthy ranges this then indicates a different level of issue in the body. Has anyone got some idea of how this actually works and which minerals it is relevant to? I understand hormones etc in blood do indicate direct effect etc on body.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I don’t know if this helps or not but I added up my calcium online from what I have and was amazed to discover I was not getting enough although my blood results said my levels were fine. 1200 mgs is a lot and it is actually hard to get enough in your diet.

I am now topping up with a calcium tab,et in the morning and a magnesium in the afternoon. I have vitamin D3 every day as prescribed and watch my diet  to hopefully cover everything.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen.  Are you also taking K2 which helps to steer calcium into the bones - so we’re told.

💐💐

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, I also did the online calculator for Calcium and was concerned that I had probably only been getting around 500mg/day (recommended 1000mg for me). Even adding a supplement 9 months ago only added another 250mg/day. The issue is that if you don't consume enough Calcium (Mg, Boron etc etc other minerals), your body will leach them from your bones in order to keep blood levels stable, but bones etc are being demineralised to do this. I was not aware of this when I had my blood levels tested 9 months ago. If blood levels for Calcium etc are outside normal ranges the problems are more severe. Vit D3 is a hormone and blood levels test appear to accurately reflect true deficiencies - I assume most hormones blood tests are also a direct reflection of deficiency, but minerals might not be. Iron is used in the blood and there are multiple measures and they give a good indication if you are OK.

• Posted

K2 MK7 is supposed to direct Calcium to go into bones and not kidneys/blood vessels. I take a Ca/Mg supplement with K2, but K2 is only 15mcg (with 250mg Calcium), yet Ca should be 1000mg/day and K2 120mcg/day so not sure why there is not more K2 added into this. Natto is best source of K2, will be sampling this today, apparently its not a good taste, but its cheap to buy.
    • Posted

Hi  tbulley

A couple of yrs ago the NOS stated that although the Ca RDA is 1000 to 1200mg, most folk would actually manage on 700 mg.  The body apparently only utilises around 400 mg a day.  Also if you keep your D level in an optimal range  you will absorb more of the Ca.

i know folk have different ideas as to what the optimal D range is.  My last test was 140 nmol/L which I’m happy with as it seems to help my immune system and I nolonger catch colds and other seasonal infections.

Best wishes

• Posted

Yes, every day, 180 mcg.

I am in Australia and the packet claims to do so based on clinical trials. 

It omits the words, may or might, it is that sure of its claims. It is very popular in Australia.

• Posted

Thanks lynne, I was not aware of the various RDA for Ca (I should have guessed given how unsure many others are). So I might not have been to low on Ca around 500-700mg. My Vit D was 45nmol, after 7 weeks was up to 69nmol/l. That was 6 months ago, hoping that with sunshine and supplements, I will be over 100nmol now. My immune system also appears stronger. I was given a medical report on osteo, where they suggested that Vit D deficient below 50nmol/l and then a page later said below 75nmol!!! I would says its pretty clear anything below 75nmol is asking for problems somewhere.
    • Posted

I think we can take more than 400 mg a day just not in one dose as 400 mg all the body can absorb at one time.  That's why bone health specific supplements are taken two or three or even up to four times a day, depending on the product.

• Posted

My understanding is that in general we can  absorb up to 500mg in one go.  

Sorry if I didn’t explain what I was trying to say clearly.    What I was referring to was the average amount of Ca that  the body actually USES, on a daily basis to cover all the major bodily functions that require Ca.  The difference between  this 400mg and the RDA of 1000 to 1200 mg is probably to ensure that everyone will have sufficient Ca entering and eventually being excreted by the body,  to ensure that this minimal amount is available. 

The NOS figure of 700mg a day Ca intake was deemed a sufficient, excess to cover most people.

I used to get worried about acidic foods, when I first read about the alkaline diet I was first diagnosed with OP and became I became obsessive about checking my urine pH.  It was only after becoming aware of the above information from the NOF,  that I realised I was being silly.  

Provided you have a steady supply of Ca during the day,  particularly from diet, as apposed to taking a high dose supplement,  which may be more than you can absorb, you will always have a reasonable influx  of Ca in circulation, which is available to act as a pH buffer. 

Its only when someone’s Ca intake is markedly reduced, be it absorption problems, or anorexia particularly when pregnant,  that the body will leech Ca from the bones as a last resort.   Best wishes

• Posted

Bought and ate natto, not sure what the taste issue with this is, I did not have a problem eating a 45g/1.6 oz pack which should be giving me around 350mg of K2. As it comes in a 4 pack for AUD$3.50, I only need to eat 1-2 packs a week as I also eat some sauerkraut, as its a fat soluble vitamin I understand it does not need to be taken daily. Will not be making my own base lentil, chickpea using a starter at this stage. I don't think soybeans is a healthy food, however I see people say that fermented they are OK?

• Posted

I think that only we westerners eat a lot of unfermented soy. 
  • Posted

A very good question.    My understanding is  that your blood Ca and Mg levels don’t necessarily reflect the  bone content.  I believe a high Ca blood level can reflect a parathyroid disease / tumour, as this gland helps to control blood Ca levels. Hopefully you will get a reply from someone with more biochemistry knowledge. 

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.