How to know if you have an ear disease instead of infections

Posted , 4 users are following.

First of all, If you have had ear problems your whole life and have had your eardrum perferated several times with drainage that has a foul oder and is a yellowish discharge, this is an ear infection.  If you continually have ear infections your whole life and go to an ENT, they will not know how to treat you know a days.  The ENTs are not taught as the older ENTs have been.  The older ones recognize an ear disease where now the ENTs  just consider the infection.  The problem with this is that repeated infections eat away the mastoid bone also called the tempral lobe.  The ENT will not hesitate to take out some of the mastoid calling it a mastoidectomy.  the problem is that now they use a drimmil type tool to remove the mastoid bone which looks like a honey comb.  they can easily take out too much of  this and cause your skull to collapse and your brain can fall into the hole causing so many other problems and is disabling.  Do not be fooled like I was and just think its just an ear infection.,,while that is infected, its eating away the bones inside of your ears. After many years of this it becomes deadly.  I will never again go to an ENT.  I go to a neurotologist.  these are very hard to find and are worth every mile you have to drive to see one.  I go 400 miles on a round trip to see mine.  I am now disabled from an ENT doing my surgery.  I cannot drive anymore, no more shopping due to florescent lighting giving me seizures.  I see so many going thru some of the stuff that I went thru. 

Clogged ears after an infection is called glue ear.  this has to be perferated and suctioned out.  No, it dont feel good but once that junk is out of there you will be able to hear.  what has happened is that your eustation tube has been clogged with this thick gelled mucus stuff.  It has to come out or you wont be able to hear.  I have had this done about 4 times now.  I do have an ear disease and its called Chronic Middle Ear Disease.  I should have been pronounced disabled since I was a child.  Some now call it Inner Ear Disease which is the same thing.  They are Autoimmune.  Nothing really causes it, its the body attacking that area.  I have been out hundreds of thousands of dollars on my ears.  I have had 2 stapes implants, 2 nose jobs, the first one was a flop, 4 ear surgeries reconstructing the ear drum and implants, the last ear surgery was done by a neurotologist and a neurosurgeon.  the neurotologist took out the implant that was useless and never was stable and made me the whole stapes, stirup, and long bone in my ear.  I still am having fluid which he said was normal and when it clears up at times, I hear GREAT.  the fluid is now coming and going but I am still healing.  I will post pics of this last surgery.  be aware , its not for the faint of heart.  My incision came back open and it had to heal from the inside out.  I had my last surgery back in feb. of this year.  As you will be able to see is that I have been cut from the temple down to behind the ear and ear wall down for them to fix what had happened to me.  I had to have a neurosurgeon also because my tempral bone/mastoid had collapsed due to the previous surgery by an ENT.  I know i keep posting for you all to go to a NEUROTOLOGIST but they have saved my life.  I never thought an ear infection could be deadly. 

With the pictures below, the first one was taken in june of 2012.  The second one was taken 2 yrs later trying to find out what was wrong with me.  the third one is where my ear came back open after surgery.  the next one is right after surgery.  The last one is where you can see the cut from my temple down behind my ear and my ear cannal was cut into also.  there is a big difference in the appearance from june 2012 to dec. 2014.  MY POINT IS, EAR INFECTIONS CAN BE DEADLY.  Do not underestimate what an ear infection is doing to your head.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I also had to have a cranniotomy to pick my brain up out of the hole that it fell into and now have 2 titanium plates in my skull.  It took a NEUROSURGEON AND A NEUROSURGEON  to fixe this problem at once.  I did not even know that there was a doctor higher educated than an ENT.  But there is...Thank God.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing dear.i hv seen three ent surgeon even two neurologist giving me different opinions. One say I hv a stroke in my inner ear another say viruses infection. But one I loss my right ear earing and the left gets block non of them can expand my mri is normal,auto immune results all normal.they say I am feeling anxiety and asked me to see psychologist in a weeks time.i anger is noone understands the situation and what I feel .
    • Posted

Your Mri should have said one way or another what is wrong if anything.  I would go to the dr that has your Mri and have him explain it to me.  Also, I always get a copy of the Mri CD and the Mri Written explanation.  You should read what it says.  Mri wont lie to you or mislead you.  After reading it, make up your mind which way to go or go to a different ENT or find a neurotologist, Not neuorologist.  I have one that is still saying that all of my problems are from PTSD...lol..Im goin to a different neurologist today and will tell you what he says about this other dr.  Ptsd dont make a persons skull cave in...So this one is a quack.  You need to pick out the quacks and get rid of them.  Dont give up what ever you do.  Im not sure if the fluid in your ear can be seen on the mri tho.  It should be easily seen when it is examed because the fluid is right behind your eardrum.
    • Posted

another thing, you have to MAKE your doctors get your medical records.  Even you sign papers for them to get them, they dont.  So when they look at you the first time, they make their own decision what is goin on.  The paper that you fill out at the dr office, they dont even read.  Its to keep you busy until your appointment.  They dont even put your symptoms in the computer.  I had some rounds of this and finally sent all of them a crapy email about my problems.  I let each one of them know what I think about their treatment and that I knew more then they did because I have my records...If they dont get your records, Make them!  I bet NONE of them has any records from any of the other doctors.  They can ignore what you say and what another dr has said, but you cannot dispute an email for proof that they get your records.  I have what they call patient portal that I can access my records and tests.  I have the ability to email back and forth.  If you dont have this option, then I would put my problems in writing with a carbon copy for yourself.  Always protect yourself like this.  Its important for you to document what is going on and to present your findings to your doctor.  My neurologist past mine off as ptsd also and that is just b.s.. 
  • Posted

Hi ma’am I had ear surgery long time they have to remove my ear drums now the ent telling me to reconstruct ur ear but I am not worry about hearing loss on that ear I get some other problem like sleeping suddenly wake up tingling in head other body parts u been thru allot you might shall I go to ent or Nero thank you ma’am 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.