How to know when the end is near

Posted , 7 users are following.

my mom has end stage copd and is 84 and is on hospice. How do I tell when the end is near

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi denise.

Your Mum is 84 and attending or in hospice, some people go on for a long time once referred to hospice others not so long, so the answer to your question is something that no one can answer really.  At end stage COPD and 84 years though, your mom could have several years to live or not so many.

Its also difficult to answer you because my understanding of Hospice in UK may be different to what it is in the country you reside.  Like wise end stage definition in my understanding may not be the same as another.

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your loss, and especially that you had to bear the difficulties all by yourself. Did your mum die at home, or was she accepted into a proper hospice eventually?

Seven months from when you first asked for a time scale, and I said 'easily six months or more'. Sometimes it seems the progression is reasonably predictable but whether that is helpful to the carer I have no idea. I hope you can now have a good rest yourself and pick your life up once again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.