How to live with sickness and be happy about it(?)

Posted , 5 users are following.

[ No preview available, so bear with the lack of finesse here. ]

I have grave cataract in my right eye 95% obscured, and slight cataract in my left eye 10% obscured – no, I have not gone to doctors for my trouble.

I am 80 years old in seven days time, but I get along safely in crossing streets, and also reading and writing in the internet, for example reading and writing here in this forum.

Recently I have this annoyance, namely, my left eye in particular is watery, i.e. there seems to be viscous secretion, and also my right eye but not as bad as with my left eye, still I get along, and it is annoying but not at all disabling as that I can't see at all.

My eyes seem to behave better when I am outside my home like going to the cemetery every Sunday to visit my wife's grave, that requires me to go outside under the sun in the smog and dust outside in the streets, etc., and ride in public vehicles like buses, etc.

In particular the left eye will also gather some creamy 'ointment' in the right edge corner where there gathers normally tears... no trouble for me, just wipe it off, and it does not return; in fact when I wake up I find dried crust bits in the eyelid, and I just rub them off with a dry towel gently: because when I try to do more, then I will not see as clearly until the eye gets adjusted itself with me rolling the eyeball in all directions.

Sensation on the inner eyelid surface is like my inner eyelid surface is not noticeably comfortable smooth when I roll my eyeball up, down, left, right, etc., or it is the cornea that is not comfortable: but that is no trouble at all, and when I am distracted I don’t even feel it.

Okay, I have been reading in the internet about eye troubles, and I found this long article on all kinds of eye troubles in the present website in its section on: Eye Problems | Health | Patient.

It is really very exhaustive, but I don't find any mention - still of course I have not scoured meticulously the whole article - of how to live with a sickness and be resigned to it or even happy about it.

That is a way what I have read from a few eye doctors who advise that if you can live with your cataracts, don't go into eye surgery to 'cure' the trouble.

So, this topic is addressed to patients as well as doctors, because there are people who live much longer with a sickness. but they could die earlier after undergoing a 'history' of medicate intervention to cure the sickens and restore health.

What do you guys here say, and I think perhaps I can do mankind a favor by writing a column, on how to live with sickness and be happy about it(?).

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why live with poor eyesight ? Mine were not to bad and I was asked by the NHS if I wanted them done now or to wait. That was three years ago when I was 79 and I said now. .

It is a simple procedure, I would hardly call it an operation. It takes about twenty minutes per eye.and I went home by bus after it. The next day I was amazed at my eyesight as I had worn glasses from the age of 11.

• Posted

I had cataract surgery when I was 79.  I was also 6.5 dioplers farsighted with astigmitism.  Never realized how bad my vision was.  I now have perfect vision in both eyes with no far sightedness or astigmitism.  My eye sight was 20-25 the day after the surgery and 20-20 a week after surgery.  There isn't much to the surgery.   Like any procedure, there is very small risk of complications.  I would recomend surgery since cataract surgery is one of the most reliable procedures there is.

• Posted

[No edit box to write and send a reply to the thread addressed to everyone]

So, to Derek76 and Alexto:

Thanks so much for your goodness in encouraging me to accept surgery for my cataracts.

I really hate to say this about where I live, there are plenty of medical scams from quasi social medicine which is quite affordable, but good 'commercial' eye doctors are expensive.

Now, what about my other eye problem, namely, the condition of viscous fluid etc. in my left eye, I can live with it, now I can't decide what is its peculiar kind of sickness among the very many described in the webpage here on eye troubles.

And no, I have not gone to doctors yet, because good doctors are also very expensve where I live, I really hate to say this, though.

Still I can get along pretty well with the viscous fluid in my left eye, accepting it as one of those things of old age.

Thanks again for your goodness.

• Posted

I happen to be plus 80 and I agree that at this stage one should avoid surgeries unless it becomes inevitable. Various complications are likely to come up at our ages. However I do agree with views of others that cataract being a simple operation, one may as well decide that in order to feel more comfortable. Even for such an op, one has to think many a timel if one has other eye problems like mine; early Glaucoma and early AMD. I wish you the best of luck, best of health.

Your other problem of fluid could possibly be managed with simple medication. I wonder what you Doc feels about it.

• Posted

I was very impressed reading your thoughts on health and think you should writ a column on this. I also believe in what u say. If you are ill take a pill for it then be ill with what the pill has caused.?!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.