How to lose weight after pneomothorax?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I had VATS for spontanious pneomothorax almost 3 months ago. I would like to exerxcise in 3 months due to pain and a little intermitant breathing problem. I notice a trend online in people that continue to exercise hard after pneomothorax have another pneomothorax episode. I guess this is obvious and expected. If you train too hard it can cause another epsiode. 

My question is, how do I lose weight without working my body too hard? This is what I would like to achieve by the end of the year:

1. Light or medium walking for 30-45 min. daily.

2. Using weight machines, doing crunches, leg raises 2-3x per week.

3. Relying more on a high protien diet instead of excerise to keep in shape and a lower body fat.

What do you think?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

There is nothing you can or can't do to avoid a spontaneous pneumothorax just live a healthy life I have had 61 phneumothorax 3 bullectomy and pleurodesis operations my lungs have had that many drains it's unbelievable exert yourself this will not make your lungs collapse I was told I couldn't have children I have 3 children I have flown overseas I have so many reasons to say live your life as you like if it happens to reoccurr it is not due to anything you have or havnt done do not smoke that's for sure but go ahead exercise as it may not ever happen again.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Natasha. That is encouraging but very discouraging too. Sorry you went through this. That is a crazy amount of pneomo's. What time frame did all 61 happen? When was your last reoccurance? Why does it keep happening? I am curious to know how much rest time you had after your first surgery.

Cheers Brody

• Posted

I had my first collapse when I was 16 I was undiagnosed for 6 years by then the damage was so severe I had so much scar tissue from it naturally healing over. I'm now 31 I had my first operation as soon as I was diagnosed because it was 80% collapses so very life threatening it took months to heal the first time it effected everything. I fell pregnant around 2 years later which really put pressure on my lung I had 11 collapses about a week apart towards the end 3 months after I had my second operation this was much more successful than the first and I still have them but the reoccurrances are much less often and manageable. I don't mean to be discouraging if anything I believe to live a very normal life what I meant by my previous reply was do not limit yourself because of this condition as there is no proven activity that causes it. If anything push the limits as it may actually help I've never had a collapse during physical activity out of all my collapses in fact the fitter I got the better I felt. I hope this helps keep going forward I bet your doing great ; (

• Posted

Cheers Natasha. My lung collapsed at 80% too. I had no idea until I went to a medical clinic and a doctor listened to my chest because I told him I had a breathing problem. Do you think pnemothorax is deffered? For example, I exercise too much and then a few days later I "mysteriously" have pnemothorax and doctors dont know how to trace the steps for what caused my pneomorthorax. Is this thinking true?

• Posted

It's different for everyone is it consistent with every time you exercise this happens or just sometimes. It can have a lot to do with weather change and humidity or moisture in the air are you exercising outside? wink

• Posted

It has been consistant everytime but the recovery time is getting shorter and shorter as I heal. Does that mean I am getting better? How long on average does it take for a lung to heal after the pneomothorax is healed? Or does the lung and pneomothorax heal similtaniously? 

I exercise outside very little but in cooler (early morning) temperature. 

• Posted

I think number 1 combined with the shakes if you are walking outside try and aim for a consistant time of day so while your excerting your lungs are not dealing with several different temperatures apparently this can stress the bullae in your lungs. Also I studied a breathing course it is fascinating how over 65% of people do not breathe correctly using their diaphragm this also helped me you can Google it now if your not breathing correctly during your e xcercise it could be putting to much pressure in your lungs a lot of us over breath and for those that suffer phneumothrax it's important to learn how to breath better hope this helps look into it smile

• Posted

Cheers Natasha. I will Google breathing techniques. I think my problem is I breathe very lightly. For example, if I don't breath consistantly, I feel pain where I had pneomo. Then, within a few minutes my pain goes away when I breath consistantly. The only problem is I feel light headed from consistant breathing deeply. The best time for me is 5 minutes after I wake up. I think my breathing problem resolves on its own. Cheers, Brody

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.