How to make a home made liquid to taper off mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

A few people have asked how to make a home made liquid to taper off mirtazapine. This is how I did it. It allowed me to make drops of as low as 0.1mg. You need a pill grinder, a 1ml syringe with 0.1ml markings, A small bottle, An acurate measuring jug or container, some maple syrup or similar flavouring.

I made 60ml each time. Each ml = 1mg of mirtazapine.

Grind up 4 x 15mg mirtazapine pills using the pill grinder. If you have the normal pills, the pill coating does not grind so fine as the mirtazapine inside, but don't worry about that. Measure out 30 ml of water and mix in 30ml of maple syrup. Put into bottle and shake. Pour in the mirt and shake. Keep in the fridge for up to two weeks. Shake vigorously before using syringe to measure the required amount of the liquid. 1ml = 1mg of mirt, so very easy to do. The mirt does not disolve which is why you have to shake the bottle well each time you dose.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anyone else having trouble typing on this website? It's driving me mad not registering every key press. Takes ten times as long. Very annoying. Might be just me?
    • Posted

Hi there.

Yes I think this website is getting too busy to cope with us all haha.  I have trouble too, in the past I've typed up a whole load, hit "reply" and lost the lot ggrrrrr.

Talking about keeping the liquid in the fridge ... I think the main reason it only lasts a relatively short time is because it loses its' potency.  Slightly different but the liquid prescription of Mirtazapine says to keep it no longer than 6 weeks (it is a different formula to the grinding/crushing of course), however, I have pushed my luck and kept it since 1st January and its been fine, over 10 weeks. I swap to a new bottle this week, so i'll soon see if it is more potent !!

Liquid Mirt' is available only in the UK mind you, I think everyone should be able to access this when tapering, makes it so easy.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I will add that when I made up a batch using the Ora-Plus suspension liquid, I began having wd and realized it was because my solution was losing potency.  I probably have a different brand of generic mirt tabs than folks in the UK.  When I went back to dry cutting, my WD abated.  I've read somewhere that you shouldn't make up more than four days worth at a time, but evergreen seems to have gotten away with it :-)
    • Posted

Yes I think its trial and error sometimes, but to be prepared just in case.  

I have been working on some (Mirt) percentages today, do you know, to drop from 2.7 mg to 2.25 mg is actually a 16.7% drop !!!  I was working on a plan to see myself to zero and thought the 2.7 to 2.25 looked pretty ok ~ obviously not for the faint hearted.  Just thought I'd mention it, a little adjustment needed I think.

• Posted

Hi Betsy, what is the Ora plus suspension used for?  Thanks. 
    • Posted

It is a suspension vehicle with a preservative in it, helps keep insoluble meds dispersed throughout the liquid so that when you dose, you aren't getting an uneven dose due to settling.  It tastes yuck, though!
  • Posted

Hi. If I don't include maple syrup and just add 30ml of water does that effect how much mirtazapine is in the solution? Is it still 1ml for 1mg or do I need to add 60ml of water instead? Thanks.
    • Posted

The total amount of liquid must equal the total amount of mirtazapine. So 60mg of mirt - add 60ml of water if not using maple syrup. The syrup is there just to make it taste nicer. Mirtazapine is very bitter. You could add any sweetener such as a cordial instead or just use water. The total amount of water plus sweetener should be the total amount of mirt. 1mg of mirt to 1ml of liquid.
    • Posted

Thanks so much. This is extremely helpful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.