How to manage escitalopram start up anxiety + other effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have posted a few items on here and am going through a terrible time with severe anxiety and depression. I also am extremely sensitive to medication. I asked to try escitalopram but don't know how I will be able to get through start up problems particularly the increased aniety, depression and insomnia. I live alone which makes it more difficult. It might be that other side effects make it impossible for me. I am in despair at which medication to try as every one seems to affect me too much and I have not been able to be strong enough to push through. Perhaps I should have started sooner rather than leaving it for the depression/anxiety to take a greater hold thereby making any increase in anxiety/depression and other side effects feel intolerable as I am at my coping limit anyway.

I also worry tremendously that the start up seems to last a long time.

Any feedback appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think you have to make the decision do you want to go on AD's which will more than likely have side effects or live with your condition without meds.

Only you can make that decision everyone reacts differently to medication

• Posted

hi caroline ive been suffering from severe health anxiety ive jus been put on setraline 25mg i too am very sensitive to medicine. im on day 5 at the mo... and panicking ĺike hell im frightened that i might pass out the days before werent so bad so i dont know why im worse today. strange. nauseous. weak. feeling a bit faint and no appetite at all. what are your symptons?
    • Posted

Hi Elaine

I haven't started them yet I need to get them. I have let my anxiety and depression go on to long without treatment (well I have tried other antidepressants but could not tolerate them) and it has got very entrenched - I am having CBT but feel so bad it is difficult making it work. I got bad side effects on just 12.5mg of sertraline - it was horrible - bad dizziness, headache, nausea, burning skin senstion, twitching, burning bladder, painful urination, 

C

• Posted

hi did you experience any tingling and numbness with the sertraline?im on 100mg and although tingling and numbness is one of my health anxiety symptoms it has defiitely got worse while on sertraline,hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

hi did you experience any tingling and numbness with the sertraline?im on 100mg and although tingling and numbness is one of my health anxiety symptoms it has defiitely got worse while on sertraline,hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

did you get a tingly burning sensation on your back. radiating to the upper back which only lasted a few seconds?
  • Posted

Did you have to wean off anything else? Or were not on anything before?
    • Posted

I was on nothing before. It scares me so much. I should have done something ages ago but it has got very bac now and will be more difficult to shift. The reason I didn't do anything earlier was due to physical health issues that were affecting my gi system (I still have some remnants) and fear of medication, Even though I was off work I didn't feel as bad as now - it feels unbearable. I could not cope with the antidepressants making it worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.