How to manage Post dressing

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello alll bunionless survivors,

I had a scarf akin bunionectomy almost 3 weeks ago on R foot. I am to remove the dressing tomorrow, and am as usual apprehensive about how to manage the wound after that. Of course, I dont know how the healing is doing, but my main concern is regarding the wedge shoe. I am fine about not having any protection whilst lounging on the sofa, but will it rub on the shoe?

What did those of you who havent had a cast, do? My foot was bandaged heavily until last Monday, whereupon that was removed and a dressing provided, which I was told I can remove after a week, and when I asked should I wear a sock was told that wouldnt be necessary.

Will I need any protection?

Look forward to hearing how you all coped

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi dot.

I had a scarf & akin on both feet almost three weeks ago. I had the dressing removed a week ago and a light dressing applied. I was told to remove it whenever possible to let the air get to it. Like you, I have to wear the wedge shoes for six weeks. At first I had apply a light dressing when wearing the shoes but now I can walk around the house with no dressing and the shoes don't rub.  

I have a pair of flat, Velcro fastening sandles that I can get on comfortably but I'm reluctant to wear then even though they are more comfortable than the wedge shoes in case  I damage my feet. Where you advised about other footwear?

• Posted

Hi Angela

I too had both feet done three weeks ago. I have a Streep on each big toe and no dressing on now I was advised I have to wear the shoes till 13th Aug  with no exception I can take them off around the house but must walk on my heals . I have only felt comfortable without these the past couple of days. Hope this helps good luck x

• Posted

Good morning Angela,

No I was only told to bring a shoe along for my next appt, but to wear the wedge until then. I didnt ask if I could wear anything else in the meantime. As I can wear an ordinary shoe on my other foot I am not too bothered about wearing the wedge apart from that leg being higher than the other. I toyed with the idea of wearing a small heeedl shoe on the good foot, but I havent been out all that much, and dont think I would be too stable on the crutches in a heel. Like you I really dont want to be 'adventurous' since I want the best possible outcome and another 3 weeks is no time at all really.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.