How to manage start up anxiety / depression on Escitalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - I posted this on the anxiety forum too.

I have posted a few other items on here and am going through a terrible time with severe anxiety and depression. I also am extremely sensitive to medication. I asked to try escitalopram but don't know how I will be able to get through start up problems particularly the increased aniety, depression and insomnia. I live alone which makes it more difficult. It might be that other side effects make it impossible for me. I am in despair at which medication to try as every one seems to affect me too much and I have not been able to be strong enough to push through. Perhaps I should have started sooner rather than leaving it for the depression/anxiety to take a greater hold thereby making any increase in anxiety/depression and other side effects feel intolerable as I am at my coping limit anyway.

I also worry tremendously that the start up seems to last a long time.

Any feedback appreciated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Caroline,

I really don't know which onesmade me go worse, as I started to go worse after a knee op last August, went on Tramodol for 5 weeks after, didn't know they were so strong, and just suddenly stopped them without cutting down, went into  terrible withdrawal, left me with opiat smell, with in turn gave me anxiety, didn't take any antidepressants till November, went on Sertraline, did not agree with me, as I take thyroxine, then it was Mirtazapine for 7.5 weeks, slept of a night (which I had already started to doing anyway) and was anxious and crying during the day, then I went into a heavy withdrawal with them...... Didn't take anything for 8 weeks.... by this time I was very anxious and crying all the time, Paid privately for a Councillor and Psycoligist, I have now been on Fluoxetine for 6 weeks 4 days.... A week last Tuesday  I had a reasonably good day, but all came back.... The last 2 days, have been reasonably good, so I think the Fluoxetine are starting to work now, got a long way to go yet, but I am a lot better...... I find if I put too much pressure on myself, that's when i feel the anxiety.... For me I think Fluoxetine will work, It just takes a long time, and sometimes we get impatient, as we are all different, and it takes some people a lot longer, and I think it may take longer, if you have been suffering for some time, it has a lot of work to do on your brain, and your well being, I am trying to be a little more patient, I know it is hard, as some people say on here, you could be talking months not weeks, that makes me feel a whole lot better..... Hilary x  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.