How to Manage Weight During Cancer Treatment? | Odeta Stuikys Rose | Ron Medich

Posted , 14 users are following.

Cancer and its treatments can affect eating habits and weight. Since weight gain or loss can affect your prognosis or your chance of recovery, it’s important to be mindful of what you eat during and after treatment. Don’t restrict your diet, make sure you take in enough calories and nutrients especially protein stay adequately hydrated, and be wary of supplements.

Please give your precious and meaningful comments on this.

5 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I agree totally. I've got some surgerys coming up . I need to lose weight before this happens, as I know the surgery will be better for those doing it & much better for my recovery. Still, I'm struggling . Is there an effective & safe way to drop at least a stone in 6 weeks? Any tips would be helpful .

• Posted

Eating a calorie controlled diet is the only safe way. I don't know your stats but 1200-1500kcal will do it for most people. You can go on a 1000kcal diet if supervised by a medical professional and it is deemed necessary, but it is not recommended. Exercise will also help!

• Posted

Thanks. I've been thinking of counting calories. 1100 a day. Exercise is difficult at the moment due to illness. Just about manage to walk the dog, which is taking 2x longer than normal.

• Posted

Hello

jacqueline58432

Control your calories, drink plenty of fluids, eat small meals and do some exercises.

• Posted

One can take supplements, but it's important to clear them with your oncologist.  Though eating healthy is a good goal, it all depends on how a person's body reacts to the treatment they're receiving. Some people are reduced to just eating what they can digest. For instance, if ice cream is all they can stomach, then ice cream it is.  

For instance, I maintained weight during chemo, then lost weight after surgery and really lost it during radiation, all because of the side effects.  But another's experience would be different.  

• Posted

Thanks Ron for the post. Yes, cancer treatment really affects eating habits and it’s really important to maintain weight. I was under cancer treatment for 1 year and doctors strictly told me to maintain my diet and weight. They allow me to take only 1200 calories a day and told me to walk for at least 15 min per day.
  • Posted

You are right ron medich cancer treatment really affect weight and diet and it’s very important to be mindful of what you eat during and after cancer treatment.
  • Posted

Right ronmedich

Cancer treatment really affects eating habits. It’s very important to take care of what you eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.