How to pronounce polymyalgia rheumatica

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just got out of the hospital having been quite sick with a chest congestion. Not that that really has any bearing on what I'm about to say. But before I went in the hospital I went to a clinic because I was so sick and the physician assistant that I saw cared more about correcting the way I said the name of the disease then taking care of my illness. Apparently this whole time I have been saying the name of this disease incorrectly. It was a slight mispronunciation but I felt it was irritating as I'm trying to breathe for her to bother to take the time to go check the proper pronunciation and come back and tell me that she was right and I was wrong. And she still didn't understand the treatment method with prednisone because she kept asking me if 10 mg was the dose I was maintaining it on. I kept trying to explain to her that I was still tapering but she never did quite understand. I don't know which is worst, this PA or the PA that laughed at me when l told him and he said I made up the disease.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You needa  new Dr. ASAP. Sounds like a real jerk.
    • Posted

Well this wasn't my doctor. She was in a clinic that treats patients that need less then emergency care but can't get in to see their regular general practitioner doctor soon enough. Which is why I was there. I would have much preferred to see my regular doctor but he was booked up for several days.

• Posted

I sorry amkoffe, but just try and remember just because a person is educated that doesn't change the fact that they are a jerk, now they are an educated jerk! Keep smiling!

• Posted

Yes, you are absolutely right....so far have seen two educated jerks....my husband poor soul, is so naive when he says to me.....but they have letters after their name, they know what they are doing!........the letters should be J.E.R.K....can`t print what they should stand for! 
    • Posted

I know people who have more letters after their name than in them - and they haven't got a clue!!!!!

• Posted

What a 'drip' this PA was. I think get better in spite of these irritating people not 'because' of them - so I hope you feel LOTS better soon !!

Best wishes

Rimmy

• Posted

Isn't it maddening (spelling?) when we find ourselves at the mercy of folks with an inferiority complex..... We need their help to feel better and they need to put us down to make them feel better about themselves ..... just when we are at our most vulnerable. So instead of freeing our minds up for healing we find ourselves seething in frustration and getting stuck in replaying the scenario. Oooooph!

Very glad you are out of hospital and wishing you continued success in tapering on the "Polywhatsit" journey!!!

• Posted

Very good ricky23486, think Ploywhatisit, was the name I first started call it and when starts getting confused that is what I still tell. I always say PMR, then they ask so what that stand for and I just cannot split it down. Still smiling ☺
  • Posted

You should have said "I'm here to be treated NOT to be corrected on my pronunciation".

• Posted

How rude! If it wasn't bad enough that we have an illness that is given a pseudo-greek name for which there probably isn't a correct pronounciation, you got a show-off plonker who doesn't actually care about their patient. I often get posts to answer where the spelling is an approximation of polywhat'sit and thingummyjig. I write the correct spelling, sometimes I say I assume that is what they mean as there are a few diseases that are similar-ish and all unpronounceable, but I'd never actually correct them in such a patronising way. 

I agree with Michdonn...

• Posted

Reading the replies on this thread have really lighten my load. I have found myself extremely sleepy and exhausted since coming home. And my husband thinks it's just because I've been so sick and maybe that's it but I suspect it's from coming down from such a high dose of prednisone and maybe a little bit of PMR. I don't know but it's like everytime I lay down I fall asleep. And that's just not like me at all. But it's just a couple days since I've come home from the hospital and my symptoms are getting better so that's a step in the right direction. Thank you all for the laughs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.