How to quickly and successfully cure craniofacial hyperhidrosis?

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hi, my name is Andi Thompson and I am a 15 year old teenage girl.

For the last 18 months or so I have been suffering with excessive sweating, but more specifically craniofacial hyperhidrosis.

I've researched on things that I can do to prevent it from happening, but I know that my parents wouldn't allow me to use drugs or botox or surgery to remove my sweat glands. I feel as though I am running out of options.

I don't know if I have anxiety issues as well, which is what my sweating may be linked to, but I am a very anxious person and the slightest thing could set me off into a panick.

The strange thing is, as stressed as I might be, I never never sweat in my own home, ONLY at school-or places where I don't feel comfortable (mainly school).

This is why I am terrified about going in to school every day, and even when it's a chilly winter day in December, I would step into the classroom and immediately begin to sweat.

People laugh, and whisper and talk about me. My own friends are starting to think me weird.

It affects my life so badly, I've had to stop going to orchestra as my hands get so sweaty it's hard to hold my violin.

Please, please, help me.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

THE CURE IS HERE! I have suffered for 40 years with craniofacial hyperhydrosis, although it didn't have a name back then! Ladt Summer I read a blog from a sufferer in the US. She was successfully using oxybutlin. My Gp agreed to give it a try. It is actually for urinary incontinence - not a problem I had! It WORKS, i cannot tell you how fantastic it is to get my life back . 2 tablets taken an hour before I go out stops all my symptoms! They give NO side effects. Just take when needed, every day if needed! GET SOME. It dries out your mouth a bit, BIG 

EAL, as if that matters.....fantastic remedy. Good luck

• Posted

Hi ,

it sounds to me like you are sufferring from hyperhidrosis,but you should have a doctor diagnose it. I have or I had the same problem with constant,excessive sweating. normal, everyday situations were always embarassing for me - who wants to shake hands when they are dripping wet ? I was becoming more and more socially isolated and I really didn' know who I could turn to that would understand my situation and  help me with my problem . I tried all the "household " remedies , tried deodorants and  seriously thought about having surgery. But the thought of having my sweat glands removed  scared me.Then while searching for info on the net I read information about Iontophoresis. I decided to try out one of these machines ,the Idromed 5 PS,. I admit that the price at first seemed  very high ,but I soon found out that the machine is worth every cent! The machine arrived promptly and I started the treatments by putting my hands in the water tubs that have electrodes that bring a light electric current to the water. I did this every day for  about twenty minutes. Idid it evenings while watching tv. already after just a few sessions i started feeling results and after a little more than a month I was totally dry ! I still can't believe that my problem was so easy to solve !I feel great and I feel free from my old sweat panic attacks.I can recommend testing  the Iontophoresis therapy to  anyone who suffered as I did .

• Posted

Hi David, thanks for sharing that. 

Do you have to do the treatment every day? I mean after your first month where you saw the positive effect, do you have to keep doing the treatment or was it permanently solved?

Thanks so much 

Pedro

• Posted

Hi Andi and All,

Im 34 and have suffered with Craniofacial Hyperhidrosis for 10 years. The first few years I self-diagnosed myself as "going crazy", "high intake of salt", and "highly anxious". I then tried counseling, hoping for a quick-fix drug, which did not happen. Finally I researched to no end and found what appears to be THE solution for those of us seriously affected by hyperhidrosis... Micro-ETS (Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy) currently only performed by Dr. David Nielsen. Look him up, confer with his staff, observe testimonials. It appears to be the one and only safe solution, besides prayer.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

Thank you Nay. I have Appt with Endrocrin Dr next week. I have cold skin sweating and at night dripping wet. It comes on for no reason but notice when I'm anxious I break out. I don't have an armpit problem but did as a teen with sweating palms and under arms. I had a sever bout of anxiety in my early twenties (Argaraphobia)!while in a bad marriage. I don't take any prescribed drugs and I'm 74. No depression just anxious.
  • Posted

Hi Andi,

It sounds like you have a social anxiety...your head and face and hands perspire when you face a social situation.

Share what you so clearly wrote with your parents. Consider a dermatologist to address the perspiration and consider a counselor to guide you in social coping skills. Remember, way before you were born, your parents attended school and also experienced uncomfortable situations.

Andi, knowing that you feel uncomfortable is a very good beginning. Knowing where you feel uncomfortable is also valuable. You just need to dig a bit deeper and define "uncomfortable" For example:I dislike going to school because the other kids make me feel inferior to them ..is it school that makes you uncomfortable or do the teachers at school make you uncomfortable or do the other kids poke fun at you...

After you narrow things down then you will have a direction to head towards a solution.

And something important...when online use only your first name, never your location, never an address, never a telephone number. Thank you, I want you to be safe.

I am here to listen.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Andi,

It sounds like you have a social anxiety...your head and face and hands perspire when you face a social situation.

Share what you so clearly wrote with your parents. Consider a dermatologist to address the perspiration and consider a counselor to guide you in social coping skills. Remember, way before you were born, your parents attended school and also experienced uncomfortable situations.

Andi, knowing that you feel uncomfortable is a very good beginning. Knowing where you feel uncomfortable is also valuable. You just need to dig a bit deeper and define "uncomfortable" For example:I dislike going to school because the other kids make me feel inferior to them ..is it school that makes you uncomfortable or do the teachers at school make you uncomfortable or do the other kids poke fun at you...

After you narrow things down then you will have a direction to head towards a solution.

And something important...when online use only your first name, never your location, never an address, never a telephone number. Thank you, I want you to be safe.

I am here to listen.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I've been tormented with excessive head sweating for the last 20 years. it has ruined countless social events including my wedding in the most humiliating way I can imagine. I have spent many years avoiding even common social situations.

I have recently started to date again and go on job interviews. This condition is absolutely detrimental to both persuits.

After reading this discussion and others online I tried over the counter oxybutynin patches which did not help at all.

I went to the doctor and asked for a prescription of oxybutynin. The Dr was not familiar with this usage as it is off-label. I took printouts from this discussion and told him how much this condition affects my life. He was hesitant to prescribe it but did his own research and decided to let me try it. He prescribed up to two 5mg tablets per day.

It has absolutely and completely changed my life. I am able to do anything I want now without worrying about head/face sweating. I take Oxybutinyn only when I know I'll need it, about an hour before a social situation, on an empty stomach. I take one 5mg tablet for most things, two if I anticipate heavy physical activity or extremely stressful situations. I can even stay dry when everyone else is sweating.

It does cause dry mouth and my contact lenses get dry so I carry eyedrops and a toothbrush /paste which both fit easily in my pocket. I don't mind because my pockets used to be filled with washcloths to wipe away the sweat. Because it stops normal sweating I am careful not to let my body temperature get too hot. The Dr. also told me to be careful to urinate regularly even if I don't feel the need to go as the Oxybutinyn reduces the feeling of a full bladder.

The tablets are not very expensive and I was able to get a discount using GoodRX to bring the price down even more. It costs less than a dollar for me to be able to enjoy social events like a normal person. Incredible!

BTW, I am really enjoying dating now and socializing, doing all the things I've missed out on for so long.

• Posted

Andi, I am not a teenager nor a female but I can tell you I know exactly what your are going through. Maybe if you print some of this forum out and show it to your parents they will take you to a good dermatologist that can get you what you need to get this in tack better. There are a couple of medications that I have read up on that is supposed to help. I have the names written down but I have misplaced it, continue reading these post and you will find them. I have been seeing a phyco for this and it has done nothing but numb my brain. I am due an appt tomorrow but I have weaned myself off his meds because I can't take it any longer. I have had these sweats for around 20 yrs now and they just seem to get worse. Wishing you all the luck your too young to have this problem being so young in life.

• Posted

This medication only made me sleep. Couldn't function. Didn't help. Glad you got help.

• Posted

I am 62 years old have suffered with cranial facial hyperhidrosis, along with extreme redness of the face, and body odor due to the excessive sweating for more than 20 years but could not get a diagnosis from any doctor. While researching excessive sweating of the head and face I ran across a forum that suggested OXYBUTYNIN as a treatment. my doctor was wiling to give it a try and I've been taking 10 mg daily for almost two years now and it has been a miracle drug for me! While it completely eliminated the sweating, it did not help the redness of my face. My sister suggested using sunscreen on my face. I was skeptical but tried it and it works. I also started taking a dietary supplement called Chlorofresh, an internal deodorant, and I no longer have the odor problem. All of these combined have given me a new life!

• Posted

I completely understand what you're going through. I am now 32 years old and have been dealing with this since I can remember. It's embarrassing, it never makes sense either...like you said middle of winter. I feel your pain girl!

I just found this site to try and get some answers as well.

I apologize that I don't have a solution for you and I'm so sorry you're going through this. I did want to reply just to let you know that you're not alone.

Hopefully we can get some answers together! I'm here if ya need to vent girl!

Devon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.