How to Quit

Posted , 7 users are following.

Last year i put myself through a medicated detox but missed drinking a lot.

Prior to my detox i has been drinking 2.5 bottles of wine a night between the hours of 7pm and 10pm for at least 3years.

Sadly at the start of the year i was made redundant from a job i had put my all into for 12 years and unfortunately i hit the self destruct button. I am now back on 2 bottles a night.

I guess my question is - would it be safe for me to just cut down as its not been as long as before or do i need to go back through detox?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi have you heard of the sinclair method it has helped lots of people , there are some very knowledgeable people on here, but google it

• Posted

when i detox, and we speak i am detoxing at home from drinking i dont know how many bottles of vodka, and beer for the last 5 days around the clock the first three days the last 2 days to avoid the horrible withdrawl symptoms, the when i cant anymore i must take valium 2 times a day or else i feel i will die. today is the first day since i started the detox that i can est solid food, to get stronger and get the anxiety, guilt and confusion out of my mind, from all the people i could have hurt in relapse. i cant go cold turkey or else i feel i will die. This pattern happens once every 2 months, in between i dont drink at all. Im what you call a binge drinker. My mother and grandfather where alcoholics so i suppose its in my genetics.

Everyone is different but hang in there and try not to feel guilty as this is a disease. I used Selincro once and it worked, thinking about going back to it as its my anxiety that pushes me to drink, and having to endure things i dont want. Many of us are stuck in a vicious circle difficult to break, and many times is the people around us who enable us and we cant break the cycle unless we have a support group and lots lf will power. Sending you all my prayers and support and know that you arent alone. XX

• Posted

I drank large amounts of wine regularly for 25 years and stopped completely 6 years ago. How, this is not recommend ed and can be extremely dangerous. I coped but not everyone can. Perhaps you can stop totally if you have the willpower. Not easy considering your job situation or redundancy! I was made redundant three times from 2009 till 2011 and that did make me drink more. My wife had also lost her job. I had hit rockbottum! Perhaps you can do it. I had one single thought in my mind: one more drink will make my life shorter and i will not live to see my children grow up and marry..perhaps. I still have that thought. Drinking is poison for me which is why i stopped. It may not work for you and we are all different😄 best of luck Robin

• Posted

the siclair method would mean taking selincro and undergoing councillor sessions, but would be better than rehab and cheaper

• Posted

hello heather,

I have bought Selincro and i will use it. Its been 5 weeks since my last horrible relapse, and i havent had a drink since then. Tomorrow I have a work function and i will take Selincro before going, as im a bit anxious and dont want to go down the same spiral again. Thank you xoxo

• Posted

Chesca,,

In line with many medications out there, Selincro could cause you some initial side effect issues.

Taking it before a work function is not what I would suggest you do. In fact, I'd never suggest that anyone begin ANY medication for the first time before attending a public event like this.

You would be much better to allow yourself to get used to it for the first few times in the privacy of your own home. For example, you really should take measures to reduce the risk of any initial side effects - such as eating beforehand and being free of anxiety because how is that anxiety level going to go through the roof if you are feeling nauseous?

Please think twice about starting it again like this. There is a particular way to help start the medication again that will reduce any side effects. Please PM me and I will email you the link to follow (in your own time and not with the added stress of a works do).

• Posted

Hey Jayne! So sad but I want to tell you in one sentence, Avoid this Habit. You can't imagine how harmful it can be for your body. I think you should join again Medicated Detox. It the right choice for you right now.

• Posted

How are keeping Jayne? It has been 4 months...just wondering

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.