How to quit a low dose of amitriptylin?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, I have been on amitriptylin (Saroten) for 11 days, but if gives me lot of sideeffects, so I want to quit it.

I started on 10 mg for 4 days, then 20 mg for 4 days and now 30 mg for 3 days.

How do I quit/decrease? Do I have to take 20 mg for 4 days and then 10 mg, or can I just quite right away because I have only been taking it for 11 days?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you have had many side effects using Amitriptyline you may well suffer sudden withdrawals if you just stop. I would suggest you try going down to 20mg for at least one week so you stabilise, then 10mg for one week until you feel stable, and then off if you feel your body has taken the drops well. I was on it for 3 weeks at 20mg when the Hospital told me I must never take this drug again and had to stop cold turkey. I suffered a very rare side effect so was told to stop immediately. I felt quite poorly, as if I had Flu, and also had dreadful headaches and nausea. It took about 6 weeks before I felt better. It is up to you and your choice how long you leave it in between drops, as long as you need to and feel ready for the next one. Don't try to rush it if you have withdrawals, just let your body tell you what is best to do.

I wish you well and hope you come off this drug without problems. 

• Posted

I was on 10mg for about 8 months and quit cold turkey. Only thing I noticed is I wasn't sleeping as well.

• Posted

I agree I would not go cold turkey with a higher dose . I would back off slowly
  • Posted

Yes even though you were only on it a short time I would wean yourself off of it. Stopping that medication to quickly will give unwanted side effects also.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Gutgirl, taper down like you increased, i had awful  withdrawal type effects coming of 10 mg but, i was on it 1 year, it took a further 11 months to get off it. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.