How to reduce from 7.5 mg to half again is there such a dose ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi new to the forum, have been trying my utmost to rid myself of this drug.

Have managed to go from 45mg. Now down to 15mg one day then 7.5 mg the next.  Feeling buzzy headed anxious and feeling sick.

Any thoughts on how long I should go with this routine, given up with my Dr. Would rather hear from the patients at the coal face experiencing this hideousness.

Do you ask for drops when you reduce again, or is cutting the 15mg. In half and then half again the route, all seems a bit hit and miss.

Would certainly value opinions.

stuck indoors in deepest Wales, hope you all are doing your best in this tricky weather.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I’m Mirt 15mg and my GP has said to reduce by cutting out 1 dose per week and then 2 etc to do it slow week by week, if symptoms come back then to take the tablet and then try again the next week. Does that make sense? Best wishes Barbara 
    • Posted

Thank you Barbara, will give this a go.  Hope all goes well for you.  It seems slowly slowly wins the race.
  • Posted

I cut 15mg in to 4 and then after a couple of weeks went every other day, then twice weekly and then nothing. Sleep problems back so it was all a waste of time except I now weigh heavier
    • Posted

Thank you for replying, how did you manage to cut the tablet up into 4 ??

with an amazing sharp knife ??

• Posted

Anghared

When you get down to half a 15mg tablet - messing about trying to cut tablets into pieces for further reductions is not on. Don't listen to your Doc saying you can stop altogether at 7.5mg but insist on him supplying liquid Mirt. Then you can continue tapering slowly and accurately with you in control. That's what I diid and although  I elected to do a long taper it worked !!.

• Posted

Hi

I started my taper from 45 last night by dropping to 41.25. I am very nervous about it.

Can you tell me how you got from 45 to 15 and if you experienced any withdrawals and how long on 45 ?

Also do come and join our mirt withdrawal support group. Look up Toria Stockford on fb and she will add you.

• Posted

I used a razor blade to cut the tablet in to 4
    • Posted

It's quite easy isn't it, snap a 15mg in half then cut the halves. I take 7.5mg for sleep alongside citalopram, once the citalopram kicks in properly then I reduce then drop the mirt with no problems, I guess I don't get withdrawal as the dose is low to begin with. I need ADs in the winter/spring as I get SAD every year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.