How to regain positivity after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

4.5 weeks after TKP op. No pain when walking but a lot pain afterwards exercise and physio and at night. Is this normal? How much should I walk?

Only taking 2 paracetamol occassionly.

Would like advise on how to be positive.

This may sound ridiculous but I feel like I have PTSD from the op. I feel like I my body has suffered from an assault.

So i need to get past this. Any advice would be welcome.

I forgot to add that I managed to get a kidney infection which hasn't helped..

Thanks

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I forgot say in my post that I added to my recovery anxiety by letting my mobile phone fall in the loo. I was carrying it in my back pocket because of the sticks and guess what? I forgot to take it out.

It died! It seems mobiles don't know how to swim!

I really missed it as I played Solitaire in the middle of the night to take my mind off the pain.

My daughter got me a new phone and 2 day later, guess what? I did it again.

This time I just sat and cried. It was" the straw that broke the camel's back"

That's the sad part but there was a happy ending!

After about 5 days I tried the original phone and believe it or not it came back to life smile

• Posted

With all the crazy stuff that goes on with recovery....as Cheryl says....ya gotta laugh. It keeps us sane. I look back at my one year old second TKR. The second day the catheter and IV was removed. Needing to pee every hour or less too. Pushing the button wasn't getting the nurse any where soon enough. So I, against the rules, tottled myself with walker to the bathroom. Not far anyway. I too giggled but with vast relief and satisfaction of personal success. Not recommended but hey ya do what ya gotta do! I'm now looking forward to a hip replacement in February. Ughhh. But they say it's easier. What I dread is getting a diverticulitis attack. After my first PKR ,exactly one week later had a rip roaring attack. Due, no doubt, to nerve block and opioids. I was better prepared by my GP for the second and had no problems. So will remain optimistic about the next adventure. Funny though, one and two years after the two knees-as rough as it was, looking back I have forgotten most of the pain. Our amazing body and mind learns to cope and move on. I do, however, well remember that excruciating nervy night pain. Best of luck, keep giggling and keep the Faith.

• Posted

What I could never understand about that nerve pain was why ony at night?  It's the most incredible pain I have ever felt . . like someone ripping your flesh off with a burning knife!  And yes isn't it wonderful how we 'forget' it . . almost!

• Posted

Here's some positivity for you...

Donald Trump Vows to "Make America's Knees Great Again"

President-Elect Donald Trump released a plan today to return America's knees to their former preeminent position in the world. For those who have already undergone knee replacement surgery, Mr. Trump proposes to eliminate all your health care benefits and replace them with a lifetime supply of Jack Daniels. In California and Colorado, you can opt for free locally grown hallucinogens in place of the Kentucky mash.

For those who have yet to have the surgery, the President-Elect's analysts have concluded that amputating your leg above the knee and replacing it with a wooden peg would be a more cost-effective and less painful solution in the long run. Phantom pain will be controlled by the issuance of 3-D goggles accompanied by an app of you skiing down Mt. Blanc in Switzerland. Those on Mr. Trump's new "Cadillac Knee Plan" will have their choice of mahogany or rare Brazilian palm wood while the rest of the country will receive a stump made of common pine soaked in creosote.

In response to questions regarding the viability of such a plan, Mr. Trump responded: "I like people who don't have bad knees. The rest of them can hobble along until they die." The Associated Press has already confirmed cases of pre-TRK patients jumping off bridges and moving trains, leaving behind notes that they'd rather end it now than be shafted by a pine stump later. Post-TKR recipients were not lucid enough to comment. Film at eleven...

• Posted

They keep deleting it!!!  Gonna have to disguise it with another title!!!
    • Posted

Hey. Commander ! It's me kathy p Mkhp. I saw an email re... How your Posts' keep gettin deleted. Maybe if u used "duck" has bad knee attitude, the may not delete. ??? Who knows just a thought . . 😏😏😏😅😅😅

• Posted

Silly old Trump - at his age, he should be kinder to people. God won't be pleased with him if he carries on dissing them. Wait till his knees go. He doesn't look that healthy!!

• Posted

Hi All,

Just to let you know I'm doing OK. Off all oral meds as I think they were making me feel sick. I'm using A little voltrol gel plus Arnica and Comfrey Balm to massage the knee gently.

My physio recommended I hire a

muscle stimulator(Kneehap XP, Advanced Therapy for Knee Injuries) to get my Quad muscles active again. This should help me straighten my knee properly which I had been unable to do.

My new physio told me the muscles weren't working so hence I couldn't get my knee straight.

I had been attending a hospital physio who had warned me she might have to "persuade" my knee to bend.

• Posted

That should read "straighten" I'm doing OK with bending my knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.