How to relieve painful anal spasms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have an anal fissure and three weeks ago it opened when passing a hard stool. Passing stools are painful but the spasms that follow are very painful and lasts for hours. If I pass a stool in the evening the pain from the spasm will keep me awake.

I do sitzbaths, put ointhighment and following a fiber diet, I was feeling a bit better like it was healing, and a couple of days ago I had breaded chicken and that hardened my stools and I am back at square one. How do yo find relieve from the spasms? Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

sorry to hear your in pain . iv had a fissure and nasty burning spasms

I'm.in the uk and I did the following. I am.not medically qualified by the way jusyt giving advice around whag I did

1. started taking dulcoase stool softeners. this really softens your poo so there is no straining
    2. buy some quality prune juice from a supermarket and have first thing in the morning
    3. buy some sudocrem and cover your finger with cling film. now use that finger to apply sudocream and try and get your finger inside the anus if its.not too uncomfortable.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am doing sitz baths, prune juice, kefir, pulses and fiber in my diet and as well the sudocream. I was on the way to recovery snd decidef to eat chicken, that nade my stool harder and my anus spasmed again. And the pain again for a few hours. What did you take for the spasms? How long did you take to heal Thank you.

• Posted

I'm waiting on surgery for the same problem and it's pretty depressing coping with the pain daily. I do all the things that everyone said but I also use Anusol about 6 times a day. I have found this to be really good

• Posted

your fissure is fairly new and not chronic so it should be easier to heal. stick to a fissure friendly diet for at least 6 weeks! (this is the average amount of time a new fissure takes to heal)

for the spasms, have sitz baths - it helps the blood flow and promotes healing.

also i would suggest:

-take magnesium citrate/oxide supplement daily: this is the best stool softener!

-don't eat white flour foods or anything that is constipating for you

-add kiwis, pears, prunes, flax seed to your diet

-find a good balance between your fibre intake and water intake. too much fibre or too much water can cause really big stools

-buy a portable bidet shower spray to clean yourself. and dab with tissue to clean, do not wipe.

if it doesn't heal by 6 weeks, ask your doc to refer you to a CRS.

• Posted

I have a chronic fissure, and after trying many things (including sitz baths), I found out that using a heat pad especially before and after bowel movements really made a difference with the pain. Perhaps this happens because it helps relax the muscles. It is much easier to use than sitz baths.

I logged in just to share this information.

Hope you get well soon!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.