How to reverse a fatty liver?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Guys,

In recent days I was feeling a bit heavy in my upper right abdomen, with no other symtomps. So my dad forced me to check for ultrasound and fibroscan.

Everything else was normal but I was diagnosed with fatty liver and 5.3kPa.

My family doctor said that your liver going towards fibrosis and he scared the sh*t outta me, but I doubt this. 

Lifestyle and other info:

- I am 23 years old Indian

- My BMI is 28.1

- Used to drink once or twice a week but very heavy.

- I have been eating junk food since very long.

- I had jaundice in Decemeber 2012 and got recovered after 1 month

My questions are:

- Tell me if there is any problem with my liver future?

- How to reverse it? Do's and dont's

- How long does it takes to reverse it?

- Is it safe to continue drinking once a month after being recovered?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nishver

unfortunately Nash (Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) cannot be reversed however it can be slowed down and in some cases stopped, I was diagnosed with Nash about 15 years ago (I'm now 66),  although they have not been able to stop mine it has I believe been slowed down since they prescribed me with Simvastatin, have a word with you're GP to see if they'll perscribe it for you, another thing that should help slow it down is to reduce your intake of fat, red and processed meat.

Nash is hireditory and is passed down through the family (usually parents) both my mother and one of my sisters also had it although it missed my other sister.

Nash is like type 2 diabetes in so far that millions of people are walking around without them knowing that they have it

sorry but Nash does lead to fibrosis however depending on any other underlying problems that may be present it seems to be a slow process

Have a look on the British Liver Trust website there's a lot of information on there, and if after that it hasn't put your mind at rest try and seek the advise of a liver consultant your GP should be willing to refer you.

good luck with this and try not to freak yourself out about it, as I said earlier I was diagnosed 15 years ago and I'm still around annoying people.

• Posted

I thought that fatty liver can be reversed with lifestyle change.  I too have fatty liver and T2 diabetes.  My fatty liver was diagnosed last year along with a liver cyst but my GP's do not seem concerned about it although i am making big lifestyle changes.  I don't know how long i've had this (years probably) and i would never have known about it if it wasn't for the scan.  I've heard that they can tell if there is damage done to the liver by the scan and blood tests (my LFT's are normal).  Unless i ask for another scan, not sure how i can monitor my fatty liver, any suggestions?  thanks

• Posted

Further to my previous reply you need to be aware that there is a lot of ignorance amongst GP's even hospital doctors about NASH, I've found myself having to explain it to them on numerous occasions down the years. So when you get blank looks from them don't hesitate In educating them.

• Posted

I've heard a Fibroscan can detect any damage done to the liver through fatty liver.   I didn't know this but i bet if i asked my GP for one he/she would say No.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.