How to sleep on a wedge without slipping down?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I have found sleeping on a wedge to be very helpful, but only if I can keep high enough up on it that the wedge begins at my hips. I start the night this way but inevitably slip slightly down, and when I do, I can tell I have more reflux. I have tried a million solutions involving pillow placement below my hips, etc. Now I think I have finally found a (slightly crazy!) solution-- based on what another person wrote on a website I saw. I bought a roll of that kind of woven plastic liner that you use for shelving or to separate dishes, cut out a rectangle of it, and put it under my hips as well as partly under the wedge to anchor it. This worked-- I did not slip!

But this brings me to my second issue. When I do manage to stay in place, my body starts to ache in the wee hours because of being in the same position for so long-- especially my left hip. I sleep on my left side because I have read in many places that this is the best position for reflux, and this has been my experience also. Right side is terrible; back is usually problematic as well. So the real question is: Has anyone found a way to stay in place on a wedge without getting sore from not being able to move around? Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jen,

The way normally recommended for sleeping when you have reflux, is to put wood under the bed (top end) to higher it up a couple of inches, the acid should not seep up into the throat then.

• Posted

hi can u show me please how do i do that to my bed im interested i have reflux i need to sleep high but i slip all the time refluxs comes to throat what kind wood is that and where i put the wood thanks

• Posted

Hi Susy,

Get some wooden squares and put them under the corners of the bed, headboard end. The blocks need to be at least 2 inches high and big enough so the bed is safe. That is the recommendation for reflux.

• Posted

Thanks Jen (!), I have thought of raising the bed, but my husband sleeps in it too so a wedge seemed easier.

Don't many people use wedges instead of raising the bed? I bought mine online from a medical company that makes it specially for reflux sufferers.

In any case, I think all my questions would apply equally well to a raised bed. How to keep from slipping down without getting sore from being in a fixed position?

• Posted

hi jen can u send me the link online medical i will like to buy that for my bed please thsnks

• Posted

Hi Susy, It's the MedCline positioning wedge. There are other cheaper models but this one is very good if you are sleeping on your left side. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi there,

I have a very wide wedge pillow I got from Amazon that allows lots of room to move around. I agree with the other patient that putting risers under the headboard post is a better option. I didn't because my bed was to heavy for me to lift as we have a natural rubber mattress that weighs a ton. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.