How to start a workout routine with fibromyalgia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 22 year old female, and whenever I try to start establishing a workout routine, my fibromyalgia symptoms start to flare up (fatigue, sore throat, pain in other areas of the body that aren't associated with the workout). I know regular exercise is super helpful for easing my fibromyalgia symptoms and improving general health, but it's so hard to get something going with this huge hurtle in the way every time I start. Does anyone have any tips to minimize the flare-up of symptoms when you start exercising? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Emily, i have same issue. I cannot get physio to understand that the pain after excersise is disproportionate to the benefits. I look forward to any tips that come forward.
  • Posted

Hi Emily I have had fibromyalgia for over 20 years, I was given physio therapy which didn't have any effect on me, after this I was sent for hydrotherapy which did give me some relief, so then I tried swimming and low impact aqua aerobics, I also joined a gym through my doctors help and was placed on an excercise programme suited to my health problems I also have chron's disease.

when I was younger I enjoyed riding a bike I believe the combination of my routine has helped keep my legs strong and virtually pain free, I have managed to keep my fibromyalgia under control without taking any medication ( it wasn't available in the early years) I take paracetamol and occasionally codeine to control pain and temperature and anti imflamatory gel is good for instant relief

I am 60 years old with a 4 year old granddaughter that I enjoy she gives me the runaround and keeps me feeling young

I wish you well and hope you find a routine suitable to you

Take care

shirley x

• Posted

Hi Emily. I think movement is crucial for us. That being said, I find that overexertion can definitely leave us in pain and exhausted. I myself have been a walker for over 30 years. Walking is to me, is an overall exercise. I have a good pair of walking shoes and I always find a walking area that is level and with lovely surroundings. I drive to that area since where I live, it is very hilly. I usually walk for 20 to 30 minutes every other day or so. It has helped keep me flexible and quite mobile. I think that the fact that I don't take medication and therefore don't have to deal with debilitating side effects; also helps me to maintain my mobility. I hope you can find a routine that suits your own specific needs Emily. Don't give up. ?? Maggie x

• Posted

Hello Emily,

When I first started exercising it was very discouraging because it seemed like I would take one step forward and the two steps back.  When I would end up in even more pain from fibro, I would listen to my body and take it easy for a day or two, or sometimes even longer, but I DID NOT QUIT.  I kept going back and would just be kind to my body.  Back then I could only walk in the treadmill and could only do one set of very light weights on the machines and/or barbells, but since then (it's been a year and a half now), I can run 10 minute miles.....I'm up to doing three sets of moderate weight etc., in fact I'll go so far as to say that when I run or do Amy kind of brisk cardio, it seems as if it's the best my body feels.....it's like when I'm running it heats up all of my muscles internally and feels as if my pain just melts away.  I still deal with the occasional set backs from working out too hard, but compared to a year and a half ago, my pain is managed most of the time.  I know it's because of the exercise, so please DON'T GIVE UP. Keep pushing through it as best you can.  Just don't get discouraged when out get all that pain from working out....you'll see that each set back will happen less and less, and you'll eventually start feeling pretty good again.  Maybe not completely normal, but definitely a lot better than if you didn't work out.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.