how to stick to a low fat diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have started a lowfat diet i am very overweight for my height , I am about 3 stone over what i should be and i have gallstones and would like to help myself by sticking to a low fat diet , I am waiting to have my gallbladder removed so i want to be in the best condition i can when i go in hospital and get this 3 stone off my body for good , has anybody ever lost weight this way i need all the help i can get , i am also excercising 30 mins. 5 days a week using an excercise bike is this a good excercise for someone in their 60s

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,I am also overweight but by 5stone, the nurse at my doctors surgery told me to get an exercise bike & use for 30 mins a day! I am now attending Luton hospital waiting for weight loss surgery where the bariatric nurse said half hour a day was a bit much for my age 66yrs and not to worry that I can only do 10mins a day, to try to increase to 12 mins a day.x
    • Posted

HI MARILYN ,Thankyou for your reply , I am doing about 15 mins of excercise on the bike a day and sticking to a low fat diet up to now i have lost a couple of pounds , like you i want to increase my excercise to get my weight down and improve my fitness , I think you are very brave having weightloss surgery not for any other reason than i am a bit of a wimp so for me that would be a last resort . How long do you have to wait before your surgery and have they told you how you will feel after and how quick the weight comes off . I hope you feel fine after it and if you want to let me know how you are doing with your excercise and weightloss we can help each other with our problems and weightloss issues . please call me MAZ everyone else does xx
  • Posted

Hi Marilyn,

First of all congratulations on taking the first, and sometimes the hardest step, realizing the problem and deciding to do something about it. Three stones seems a lot to lose but with a little determination and a lot of common sense it will come off in a few months. I lost just under two stones in four months in 1992 without effort. I joined a new local gym a few years later and my body fat was measured at 16.2%

My philosophy, at the time, was to eat sensibly but normally, not to go hungry and to just cut out the cakes and biscuits. The only thing I did was to substitute fruit of all types for the sweet treats. I've got to add that I already had a decent, healthy diet.... lots of chicken, fish, rice and pasta and none of the items normally referred to as junk food. I think you're right to keep your fat intake down to a sensible level, muscles don't burn fat, they burn sugars, from carbohydrates.

Keep in the back of your mind, "calories in = calories out". If “in” is greater than “out” then you will gain weight, so for the next few months you will have to burn more than you eat to lose weight. From my experience, fresh fruit calories just do not matter and you can eat your fill without any problem. 

When I had 16.2% body fat I was four years into marathon training and I was fifty eight years old. The meals I had were enormous for a ten stones person and no matter what I ate I couldn't put on weight. You don't of course have to go to that extreme with exercise as any activity is good. You don't say what your history of exercise is but don't let your age dictate what you do. I changed from running to cycling when I was almost seventy, joined my old club (from when I was sixteen to twenty), and turned out for the weekly ten mile time trials. The best thing about a static bike is that you can make it as easy or as hard as you like and when you decide you've had enough you can stop. The calories you burn will be somewhere in the range of 200 - 350 in thirty minutes. I know this is a wide range but a bike can be a pleasant potter to an instrument of self torture. No gain without pain... an old adage but I believe there's some truth in it. 

Best wishes for your operation. You might find that afterwards fatty foods don't agree with you and you’ll automatically settle down to a good, healthy diet.

Regards….

• Posted

Thankyou for or reply , I really a grateful or any inspiration i can get , i m determined to loose my extra weight and get my fitness in check but i can't ever see me doing a marathon but you never know ,What you said about the calories used using a static bike really surprized me as i didn't think it would be so many ,  i have been addng the amount of kilometres i have done then seeing how far i have done in a week then trying to beat it the next but as i have i am grateful for any hints and tips to stick to his lowfat  diet so a big THANK YOU
    • Posted

I might have been a little optimistic in the calories burned as I inadvertently used the male readings I am used to rather than the female and I was also assuming that you would be riding at a level which would make you sweat. Apart from that just work on the assumption that all exercise is good and try to enjoy it. On the diet side, don't make it hard or you will fail to keep to it. Aim not to go hungry by eating well or you will snack, usually on the wrong stuff. If you must snack then eat fresh fruit. It doesn't matter how much.
    • Posted

Thnkou for your swift reply , I am detemined and i am enjoying it but the help i m getting from you and others on this website is a great help , THANKYOU
  • Posted

Good for you. I still use my exercise bike to hang my change of clothes. Have you spoken to your Doctor or your surgeon about your weight? It gets more difficult to lose weight as we get older. It's just a fact of life. A low calorie diet is usually 1000kcal a day. That is a difficult target. Don't be mislead by calorie counting because you need to get a balance of calorific foods. Treats should be banned from your diet. Even "healthy" nuts should go. 200g of nuts is about 1200 kcals! Sorry, no chocolate. 100 g of choc contains about 20g of saturated fat. Please get some medical advice.Insist. After all, we are all shareholders in the NHS.
    • Posted

HI ,Thankyou fo your help with your hints and tips , I am lucky i don't have a sweet tooth  so chocolate is no problem , i don't like nuts but my downfall would be crisps and cheese  if i fall off balance , I have seen my GP but all i got  was to stick to a low fat det , I did ask for a diet sheet but he said there isn't one I seem to be getting  more help from this website and people like you . THANKYOU once again
    • Posted

M, could be worse, perhaps chips and cheese. I find that it's the evening when I raid the fridge for cheese. Even writing the word is making me salivate! You're winning on the chocolate. 100g of choc has 20g of saturated fat and 100g of cheddar also has 100 g of saturated fat. I can easily eat 100g of cheese at one sitting. My plan is to buy and binge on cheese once a month. Will it work?
    • Posted

HI, I know what you mean by the fat in cheese but it does taste good , i have stopped buying it unless a recipe i am making calls for low fat cheese , i have loads of fruit in but i am awhere of the amount of sugar that contains , i hope your plan works for you but i know it wouldn't work for me so i stay clear, Is your way working have you lost alot of weight .?
  • Posted

Hi Maz ,yes that is what I get called too,i did a weight management course for about a year in Northampton where I did loose a stone, but I had hit a wall & could'nt shift any more, so I asked my GP about a gastric band & she refered me to Luton where I see the bariatric team. The beginning of June my op is, I saw the surgeon last Monday, he has said they are veering away from the band as they are high maintenance & often fail so I'm getting a sleevelol I am a little nervous but also exited, ask your GP if there is a weight management course in your area. Mx
  • Posted

HI MARILYN ,I have ask about help but i was just given a piece of paper with what type of things you can eat ant what are high in fats , my GP surrgested a slimming club but they can become expensive and my husband has retired so money isn't never ending , I am beginning to think when you get to 61 they don't bother about you as much as if you were 30 but that's because their funding is cut as much as it can be , I don't blame the doctors but i do think when the government are saying how obesity is causing problems in this country they should some way help in getting the help people need before it gets out of hand , I know 3 stone is alot to loose but surely getting some help now would be better than waiting until i am 13 stone overweight , anyway that's my rant over , all i want is to stick to my diet and i think i am getting more support from the people on this site than i have had from my GP. I am so pleased you are getting the help you need and i hope it's a great success , I dont know what the difference is between a gastric band and a gastric sleeve but i surpose there is one , is one safer than the other or is one easier to do and mantain , I hope everything goes well and you get to your goal , MAZxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.