How to stop bad snacking habits?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wouldn't say I quite hit obese yet, but ever since becoming pregnant (my son is now 1) after all the sugar cravings I just cannot stop snacking on junk food! I get really miserable if I go a day without chocolate and I'm embarrassed and scared about the implications this unhealthy obsession is causing. I'm terrified of developing type 2 diabetes or heart problems and I'm so miserable being too curvy. I've just found a friend to go to the gym with a couple times a week (I wish I could go more but with a baby it's just difficult) to try and help my fitness. I just need to curb this really bad junk food habit!

Any ideas or things that worked for you?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am no paragon of virtue where this subject is concerned however I find if it is not readily accessible -  in  my own home - then that makes it a bit more difficult to consume - it is having the dangerous foods in the home that makes it so easy to snack on so how about just not buying it and asking anyone else who lives in your home not to buy it or if they do want to buy it for themselves to take responsibility for it and keep it hidden out of your way - stock up on healthy alternatives - I call it damage limitation - if you have to walk to the s hops to satisfy your craving for junk food could be that by the time you get there you will have talked yourself out of it or thought better of it - but if it is there in your cupbrd or fridge every time you open the door then it is less easy to resist and far too easy to have downed the wretched junk food before you have even thought about it - good luck and I hope you overcome th e things which are causing you grief 
  • Posted

Try putting your chocolate bar in the freezer and cut small chunks off, by the time it melts with that one piece you should have had your craving for sugar pass, or try buying the lower calorie versions of sweet stuff there are a host out there to chose from, although they may be a bit dearer they won't be so full of sugar and calories.  I have type 2 diabetes which has nothing to do with eating too much sugar as thankfully i have never had a sweet tooth, you can get it for any reason, but if you are overweight too then you are at more of a risk if you're eating chocolate and sweet stuff on a daily basis. Also if all else fails speak to your GP who can refer you to a health trainer who can discuss with you what you eat and try to work out why you crave and suggest ways in which to help you stop the cravings. Also i know it may sound mad but try some fruit instead like grapes or strawbs, they do have their own sugars and are sweet but still better for you than chocolate or other sweets, you can also buy sugar free sweets so keep your eye out for them. But if these cravings you are having don't stop you may need some sort of therapy to teach your brain to look for other ways to satisfy yourself. Get it looked into as soon as possible maybe an eating disorders clinic may help but you will need a GP referral for that.

Best of luck.

Sue

• Posted

I heard it said a while ago that it is easier to get new habits than break old.  But HOW?!

I have become an absolute advocate of mindful eating.  It helps you just to think about why you are eating what you eat.  I found it utterly liberating, despite originally being extremely sceptical.   I suggest that you look for a mindful eating course, the NHS may even provide it in your area.

Good luck

• Posted

I have been eating healthy since I am 19 y.o. I eat 5 times a day: 3 major courses and 2 snacks, I amean healthy snacks. You should try it  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.