How to stop drinking.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I don't really know if I would class my self as an alcoholic, but I know I need to stop drinking the amount that I do. It seems that one glass is never enough  and sometimes it's hard to stop. I can go a few days without drinking but then when I do sometimes it's way to much I have drank. Now I'm wanting to just stop drinking completely, I have had enough of not sleeping properly, the bloated belly, the not remembering.  Any help or ideas on how to make this all possible. 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done for telling your husband about your concerns over alcohol. I think it's great that he's supportive and understanding. I think it would be good to make an appointment with your GP and see what he suggests. I had a blood test first to check for liver damage amongst other things. I was lucky that the results were all ok. I've got an agreement with my husband that should I end up buying a bottle of wine, I am open and honest about it, rather than drinking secretly and denying I've had a drink. Good luck and stay in touch.
    • Posted

Thanks Vicky. I have never drank in secret, I've just never liked sharing my wine as I've always thought if I share I wouldn't get so much to drink, therefore I would by two bottles.  I will phone the Dr's tomorrow and speak to them. Must admit only been two days but not missing the drink one bit. 
    • Posted

Have a chat with your GP and take it from there. As you've not suffered any withdrawal symptons, sounds like your not alcohol dependant, but like me you could have ended up dependant. It's a frightening thought.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.