How to stop overthinking?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Everything seems so loud right now inside my head. I am being drowned by my own thoughts and its freaking me out. It's been two years since I've been okay, but I guess I am on this road again. And this time I'm feeling so alone and helpless. I am not even functioning properly these days. I keep on convincing myself that I am okay. I'll be okay. But I am not!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi gorden, well done to begin with for reaching out admitting you are finding it tough and saying how bad you feel. this is a huge step! now you've done this now where can you go from here? what can we do to help? do you have family support or friends? do you have anyone else you can reach out to? does your doctor or any health professional know how you feel? you need proper support - off professionals. i do wish you luck we can always listen to you but physically can't help.

• Posted

I'm sorry you're having these problems but I want to reassure you that you are not alone and that, in my experience, this is just a phase which you'll pull out of gradually as you learn ways to cope and change your internal state.

Mantra meditation works for me to quell what's left of my 'overthinking'. Being aware of what your mind is doing and making the effort to turn away from it and calm yourself down would be helpful.

I dont know how old you are but when I was younger I used to deliberately switch from thinking to not thinking.

This has been my experience with your type of condition. I know if you're patient and willing to experiment you will find your way out of it.

• Posted

I'm sure that there are many of us, who like you, suffer with these kinds of problems.

Looking back across my 70 plus years, I now know that I've had anxious depression compounded by hyper-vigilance for as long as I can remember, and certainly back to when I was aged 6. In reality I believe this was caused by the behaviour of my somewhat mercurial mother, a single mother, who undoubtedly also suffered anxious depression all her life.

Until relatively recently I didn't know what these various conditions were or how they could affect people, much less what could be done about them.

My first understanding of anxious depression came at age 24 or 5 and took me out of work for several weeks, though I never received a diagnosis, other than "It's probably just stress!" It was from this point that the merry-go-round of recycling thoughts first troubled me.

It's recurred in acute form more times than I can remember, but usually diminished when I have been taken, or have taken myself, out of situations that caused me stress.Of course it's important to recognise that what causes you stress, is almost certainly not be the same for me. There's no universal situation or set of factors which causes everyone's stress, as you've no doubt discovered.

Most of us, me included, can cope, and indeed flourish, under a certain degree of stress. The trouble is trying to recognise when the tipping point is close, or indeed has been reached!

Going back to the noise-some thoughts, my most recent problem episode, some 5 years ago, brought me into contact with a Counsellor who guided me toward meditation as one possible means of reducing what I call my "mind-movies" to a point where I am able to cope. I should add, in fairness to previous professionals to whomI have been referred, it (Meditation) was suggested before, though then I was unable to make it work for me.

However, in my case it's not just thoughts. They're usually accompanied by, as it were, pictures. Often moving pictures, thus mind movies. I believe I first acquired the mind-movie tactic when endeavouring to solve practical problems, such identifying the cause of a fault in a motor vehicle, or how best to rewire my workshop. Sadly the use of this tactic spilled over into other situations which were not helpful.

Although I won't pretend that I find is easy to meditate, I am able to achieve a level of stillness, sufficient to calm the thoughts and pictures sufficiently to give me peace and rest for a period.

The other thing for which I'm thankful is that I have discovered another way of helping to achieve this condition. When I set myself to do something which demands all, or a significant proportion, of my attention, then my mind, and the thoughts are reduced close to zero.

I daresay that my comments have not helped you a great deal, or at all, but I do empathise and wish you success as you deal with your condition.

• Posted

HI,

I have read all the comments here and would like to ask if I may, how to learn or how to start with meditation. I have heard other people are using this technique and am hoping it will work for me .

• Posted

Everything seems so loud right now inside my head. I am being drowned by my own thoughts and its freaking me out. It's been two years since I've been okay, but I guess I am on this road again. And this time I'm feeling so alone and helpless. I am not even functioning properly these days. I keep on convincing myself that I am okay. I'll be okay. But I am not! https://100001.onl/https://1921681254.mx/https://acc.onl/hotmail

issue solved!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.