How to stop snoring

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well, there is no proven way of stopping someone from snoring, unless you start using a sleep apnea machine, in case you have sleep apnea, or a stop snoring mouthpiece device.

Here are a few stuff that you can try to stop the snoring and get a good night’s sleep:

Limit alcohol and smoking: Alcohol relaxes the tissue behind the tongue, leading to severe snoring. Limit alcohol consumption at least 4 hours before going to bed. Smoking leads to nasal congestion, which is a main cause of smoking. Reducing smoking can really help. 

Check for allergies: This is not a commonly known fact, but it’s true. Allergies lead to nasal congestion, which can be a cause for snoring. If the allergy is treated, it will reduce snoring to a great extent. 

Change the sleeping position: Sleeping sideways can really help controlling snoring. When someone sleeps on the back, the tongue relaxes further blocking the air passageway to the body. You can use pillows from preventing someone rolling over from the sideways position. 

I’m sure these tips will help. It’s all about opening the air passage of the body. If that opens up, everything else will fall into place.  

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Nope, 'fraid not! Never smoked, don't suffer from nasal congestion, have tried not drinking alcohol too late in the evening and always sleep on my side, and I still snore!

• Posted

My exhusband never smoked or drunk alcohol and he snored all night, even though he had an operation to shave the cartilage to widen the top of his nose, he snored from the back of his throat not nose, i told him that but he still continued with the operation, it made no difference at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.