How to stop weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 52 and doctors have told me 1ovary has shut down and the other 1 ain't far off.i have put on 8lbs in 6months even though I still exercise and my eating hadn't changed.i was told its hormone change but I haven't got a clue how I can change it.anyone got any ideas.i want to stop it before it gets too far.it has all gone on my tummy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

so its peri meno you are in then is it... I am almost year 9 of peri and ages 49 ... 😕

read about this, Vit B 6 helps weight gain ... and a must for peri and meno ...

useful snippets ...

Everyone needs B-vitamins for good health. Without them we can suffer from a variety of serious ailments. For a woman going through perimenopause, B-vitamins can be essential for effectively managing symptoms.

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause. B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system. Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause. Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment.

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem. Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause. All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency. Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

Jay xx

• Posted

Thank you jay.i will get some ASAP x when I looked up menopause symptoms all I kept seeing was the usual hot flushes,mood swings and loss of sex drive.
  • Posted

Linda..

abit more helpful info for you.. quoted by a Dr Phil on the web..

Supplements for Menopausal and Hormonal Symptoms

Robin McGraw shares a list of natural supplements that have helped her put her hormones back in balance and ease menopausal symptoms.

To Relieve Menopausal Symptoms

Black Cohosh

B12 and B6 vitamins

Folic Acid

Inositol

"These four items are very good for overall menopausal symptoms," explains Robin, "especially black cohosh, which is good for hot flashes. The B12, B6 and folic acid help with mood and to ease you through the transition. The inositol also helps with mood. You take it at night and it helps you to sleep."

Essential Oils

Flax Seed Oil

Evening Primrose Oil

Vitamin E

Omega-3

"These are really good overall for hormone symptoms," says Robin. "Essential oils are good for joints because sore joints can be a symptom of menopause."

Menopause and Weight Gain

Robin goes on to explain that weight gain can be a symptom of menopause because menopause affects the thyroid gland, which helps regulate body weight. "When you get your blood work done, there is a range for the thyroid and your doctor can tell you if yours is normal. I bought a basal thermometer and every morning for 10 days, I put it under my arm and recorded my temperature. If it's even a degree below 98, then you are susceptible to having a low thyroid. Mine was 95. My doctor had told me I was fine, but mine was very low so I went on natural hormone therapy."

Jay xx

• Posted

I have just had my bloods tested for thyroid and the doctor said everything was fine.soi think I will do it naturally with vitamins x
  • Posted

Linda..

I was given Vit B6 years ago by my UK Doc on a prescription, for Peri, you can also by it elsewhere, but you need a good strength, some stores sell minimal strength 😟 I live in Spain now and mine are 300mg from the farmacia but I do half them so I take 150mg daily, Biovea website is very good and good price for all your Vits etc, I have used them for years for other things so you could always look on there too if you want a good one..

Maca is good too I take that for other reasons for peri...

infact all in all I take

Natecal ( mix of Vit D and Calcium ) a must for bone care

Estroven Maximum for symptom control

Vit B1 ( Thiamine). 300mg

Vit VB 6 150mg ( i half one 300mg)

Vit B 12

Maca

Jay xx

Jay xx

• Posted

Linda

yes I take the natural route ... cant have HRT as high risk family history..

good luck

jay x

• Posted

I agree with everyone else on the natural supplements.  As far as the weight gain, I am 51 and also having trouble keeping my "budda belly" under control.  One thing I've tried that worked is basically just lowering my caloric intake.  I take my dinner plate (before I start eating) and automatically remove 1/3 to 1/4 of the food on it and put that on a smaller plate into the fridge for lunch the next day.  No snacking at night and I am also trying to walk more during the day.  Managing to keep the weight gain at bay this way but not losing any yet.  My sister is 53 and going the same way.  She gained 1 lb per month last year (not hard to do).  I told her that was 12 lbs in one year and could easily be 50 lbs after a few years,  it really gets away on you.  Nip it in the bud!!! Good Luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.