How to take carafate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had gallbladder out over a year and a half. No problems not even GERD which I used to suffer from . Now with upper abdominal pain and radiating to the back . Just like when I had my gallbladder. Started taking protonix 40 mg x1 a day. Still with the pain after I eat . Dr prescribed carafate with meals and before dinner as needed. I have read that you should take this before eating on an empty stomach. I am currently taking the protonix 30 min before eating. Not sure if I should continue taking the protonix first and then follow with the carafate then eat and then take my other medications . Any suggestions on what is the correct way to take this medication would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would double check with your doctor to make sure but when I took both I would take the carafate first then wait a half hour and take the protonix and then wait Another half hour to an hour to eat. Hopefully this helps and I hope that you feel better soon.
  • Posted

What advice did your doctor give you about taking these medications?  Consult the patient leaflet that comes with your medications and check the label attached to the medication container which will have your doctor’s dosage instructions printed on it.  If you still find it confusing, speak to your doctor again.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, what happened was the label says to take with meals and before dinner 4x a day as needed. When I checked with her she told me I can take the protonix with the carafate then wait and then eat. But I have read that you should first take the protonix on an empty stomach and wait 30 min then take carafate wait an hour then eat. If you take any other medications to take them 2 hours after carafate. So I was quite confused because of What the label said . 
    • Posted

Follow the instructions that your doctor told you.  When I am prescribed medication, I stick to what my doctor advises and I don’t read anything else regarding dosage. This is the best way to avoid confusion.   Your doctor is the expert and will give you correct and trustworthy advice.   Listen to your doctor!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.