How to taper tramadol properly?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've read far too many horror stories about tramadol online so I am going to be getting myself off it immediately. Not to mention I am starting to get the 'brain zaps'.

I've been taking around 150mg/day for the last 4 months. I was on 200mg/day but a couple months ago, I cut myself back to 150mg/day.

I get a refill on my meds next week but I think I'm going to pass on it and just taper with my remaining supply. I have about 40 50mg pills left.

What's the best and SAFEST way to taper with these?

My initial plan:

100mg per day for 10 days

50mg per day for 10 days

25mg per day for 5 days (cut pills in half)

12.5mg per day for 5 days (cut pills in quarters)

... and then be done w/ a few left over for an emergency pain day. Will that prevent withdrawl? Is that a safe way to quit?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It looks like a good plan. Your dosage history is very reasonable, so you may have no withdrawal symptoms at all. But if you are still having any withdrawal symptoms 10 days after a "step down", take a little more time at that level. Wait until you feel well before taking the next step.
    • Posted

I only have enough remaining pills to go with my 30-day stepdown plan as outlined above. I was just hoping that would be slow enough to alleviate any kind of physical withdrawal. I only took 1 pill today and besides the brain zaps and a runny nose (but that could be the weather, everyone around here is sick right now), I dont feel too bad.

I have noticed though many of the people mentioning this severe withdrawal have taken the drug at much higher doses for a much longer than time than my measly 150mg for 4 months. Hoping for the best.

• Posted

Hey I have just read yr blog and can confirm that the only way I managed to successfully taper was to ask for tramadol oral liquid drops. I was addicted to Tramadol for over 5 years to the extreme I was having regular seizures. I manage to come off for a mth but sadly due to a stint of depression I went back on them. I went to my doctors and explained my situation and he took the time to investigate the net and could see that there were oral drops which Icould take. They were not expensive for doctor to prescribe (believe me they have to justify some medication now due to the expense!!!)so he tried me on them. I Did not look back i reduced by 0.05ml every 3 days until I realised I was on nothing at all. There was no anxiety nor really bad side effects. The body then doesnt go into shock and it saves cutting or splitting the capsules. ( Which is a messy job in itself!) These tablets had such a hold on me and the thought of less and less tablets going in my hand also prevented me reducing due to the anxiety. The drops come in 10mls and tgey are called Tramadol oral drops solution. I recommend strongly u ask for them smile hope this advice helps anyone else going through same thing.
    • Posted

Thanks for information leeza. Sorry to hear you were having seizures. How much were you taking? Were there any warning symptoms before the seizures came on, or were they just all-of-the-sudden?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.