How to tapper off. Celexa

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on celexa for 19 days. 4 days at 10 mg. I've been having headaches for 2 weeks. Went to the doctor. Not my regular doctor. She said to stop taking the celexa. My question is she said take 1/2 a pill for a few days then stop. I am wondering if anyone can advice me if this is correct?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

And 5 mg the rest of the days. So I'm actually on 5 mg now

• Posted

Hi Debra, coming off slowly by small amounts is the best way to come off these to avoid any possible withdrawal. You havent been on them long so you may be ok. Even so the fact you are having bad headaches and a doctor advising you to come off them for health reasons, personally I would take the doctors advice. I had to drop from 30mg to 20mg due to having suspected brain bleeds and hemiplegic migraines and suffered for it, but for me it was worth it at the time due to my health problems. Good news my scary symptoms have disappeared, I stopped other meds too.
    • Posted

I've been on them since July 13th the first 4 days 10 mg. And the rest 5 mg. So do you think that I should like take 2.5 mg for a week or so then stop? Sorry can't get a hold of my regular doctor.

• Posted

Hi Debra, I agree with Ruth regarding tapering, as long as your headaches are just regular headaches and nothing else. Am not a doctor, and am wary of giving advice when it involves the head due to the seriousness of what I suffered.
    • Posted

Cita can affect sodium levels which can cause headaches, if your blood pressure is fine could be worth eating something salty. Sometimes I managed to stop my headaches with eating salty and foods that helped my blood sugar levels. Sports drinks are good. I only did it at the time not constantly, as too much of all that can be bad.
    • Posted

Exactly..... If its some kind of medical emergency, you must follow gp advice.
  • Posted

I'm not a gp and this is only my own opinion. But I would be tempted to wean out a little bit longer. Maybe 2.5mg for two weeks, and then even 1.25 for a couple weeks.

The last thing you want is to put self through withdrawals. The difficulty is, not knowing whether you'd be prone to that or not... until you actually try. Not even a doctor can tell you if that's gonna be the case.

But I'm inclined to go very slowly with these things.

• Posted

Headaches are a common side effect that usually go away. But if you are coming off, yes that is how I have done it. Half dose for about a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.