How to tell a doctor they're wrong

Posted , 3 users are following.

Maybe it is just me , but approaching doctors and telling them they've missed something is difficult.

Can you give me any advice

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Courtnay26

It is very difficult but sometimes you have to say it. I was told I should do radiotherapy but said it was not necessary 2015. I was warned that if I do not do it I will die sooner than later but 2018 I am going stronger each day. They are human beings and I feel they should accept it when they are wrong.

Hope that helps

• Posted

I am glad you are doing so well Selina

I have often advised cancer patients to stay away from radiation

in favor of antioxidants.

I hope it continues to go well for you

• Posted

I think some doctors rely on the fact that patients don't want to anger them, fearing that the medical treatment they receive afterwards will be even worse.  This is your life you are talking about and you have every right to ask questions, or to ask for a second or even a third opinion.  In fact, the doctor should offer to send you to another doctor for one if you're still concerned.  

How are they to know that they've done all they could unless they get input from another physician?  Sone doctors develop "favorite" forms of tests, as well as drugs, and they prefer to stick to these methods, no matter what.   

It's my personal belief that many a patient has lost their life because they were reluctant to question.  If your doctor is dismissive of you or rude, or wants to be your friend, so won't tell you the facts or hard truths, you definitely need to get a second opinion. xx

• Posted

thanks Lynda

your absolutely right.

I guess it is just difficult trying to get the doctors to believe

you have a rare tumor when they don't know how

to find these rare diseases.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.