How to tell difference between Diverticula bleeding and hemmoid bleeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello  I am a member of several groups and find them very helpful.  Most people are very supportive.  I supposedly have had IBS for around 6/7 years.  I am 69 years of age.  Following a bad run of constipation and bleeding I had a colonscopy 3 weeks ago.  Results were diverticular all down left side sigmoid and descending colon ,small internal hemmeroids and one 6mm benign looking polyp removed from the ascending colon and the consultant said he would not need to see me again so no follow up appointment.  He also said the bleeding would be from either Diverticular or hemmeroids.   I now wonder if I ever had IBS. That aside I Did have some pain bloating after the scope but that seems to be much better now.  I take fybogel once aday and am able to go each morning.  Everything was ok with stools for the first 2 weeks now I am getting blood in stools again and when I wipe.  Although easy to pass they are starting to get like small balls stuck together rather than a smooth stool.  My questions are does anyone know how to tell if the bleeding is from the hemmeroids or diverticular and regarding diet.  I am pretty confused I know it is a matter of trial and error but you read so much about fibre too little and too much soluble and insoluble fibre not to mention low fodmap diet.  The pain I get is on left hand side usually because of wind or constipation but as I said much better this last week.  I  cannot get a gp appointment for another week but in the meantime I need to try and work out where the blood is coming from.  Added to all this is that I suffer from anxiety which of course does not help with bowel problems.  Any views or ideas would be appreciated.  

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I forgot to ask what about fruits with seeds and pips.  My gp says that is old advice to avoid these but I see some people don't eat them.

• Posted

I am convinced that seeds,pips are bad for the condition, despite what they say now.  It is depressing because so many of the foods I used to love are out of my diet.  I have an allotment growing lovely strawberries and raspberries and it is so upsetting that I dare not eat them now.
    • Posted

Me too. I love strawberry grapes tomato beef beef burger. I get so depressed first thing on a morning I don't want to go out incase I need a toilet. I have arthritis and my knee and leg have seized up due to me not walking very much. So I am in slot of pain not only in my left side but my left hip and knee

• Posted

Funnily enough I never used to eat a lot of fruit until I was diagnosed with IBS and I always had a tendency towards constipation.  I ate a lot of salad and veg though and still do.  It is really only in the last year or two that I have started to eat raspberries,strawberries and blueberries thinking they were good for health and bowel problems maybe I should leave them out although I don't get any pain from them as far as I can tell.  This all started on  friday night I had been for a walk and came back with lower left stomach pain and backpain assumed it was IBS and constipation. The following morning I had what I thought what a urine infection followed by blood in stool and then blood in the urine.  As it was a weekend I saw an emergency doctor who did a urine test and said did not think it was an infection but did give me 3 day course of antibiotics.  I think they were called Trimethroprim or something.  I do now wonder if this might hve been the start of a DD flare or not my gp was not sure.  I did not have temperature or feel ill.  Maybe I caught it quickly who knows.  From what I have read it is more usual to have diarreah with DD is that right?  I feel ok now apart from ongoing anxiety and arthritis pain just concerned about the blood in stools and how best to proceed diet wise.  As you say I have had the scope and got the all clear so not worried just want to sort it out.  I was wondering if taking another dose of fybogel in the evening might help.  I know the usual dose is twice a day. Might ask my gp about that.

• Posted

When I have a diverticulitis attack, I have agonising pain, diarhea, nausea and fever. This subsides after 24 hours and then l'm on the antibiotics. After an attack keep fibre to a minimum for a week or two.

• Posted

Thank you it does make  me think that this is more to do constipation and anxiety but I do have multiple diverticular right down the left hand side sigmoid and descending so constipation would affect this.  Lets hope I can sort it out.  Hope you are able to ward off any DD flares in the future.
    • Posted

I have multiple DD down the left side and pain If I get constipated it makes me feel so ill. So I make sure I drink plenty of water and have albran and a probiotic drink everyday Hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

I feel for you constipation is horrible without DD on top.  As I mentioned I am having a bowel movement once a day nearly always around 8am.  I know that the right amount of fibre is good but too much is as bad as not enough.  I also know that anxiety can cause constipation so that does not help add to that the fact that I have an underactive thyroid and my dose has been reduced in the last couple of months, I take a diurectic for blood pressure and calcium/vit D tablets all of which can cause constipation I feel that the odds are stacked against me.  Gp's don't seem to understand about things like this.  Mine told me you will be fine providing you drink enough water which is fair enough but I drink around 6 glasses plus some weak tea and I eat porridge,fruit/veg and wholemeal bread plus fybogel once a day.  If my stools are small balls but stuck together then according to the bristol scale chart that is constipation although they are easy to pass and it must be why I have blood again.  It is difficult to fathom out what to do for the best.  As mentioned I have booked an appointment with my gp for a week Monday but will try calling Tuesday to see if I can get an earlier one to see her.  Have a good weekend.

• Posted

Hi there,if your poo is like you say,like"  little balls stuck together" that is typical of DD and is constipation so yes anthother dose of Fybogel is recommended.When i have slight flares (not a infection) i  need to pee alot,i once had blood in my urine and this was put down to irritation from the DD as i never found out what caused it and it cleared up on its own.

• Posted

Thank you for your comments.  I will try a 2nd dose of fybogel in the evening.  I did not realise that this type of bowel movement was typical of DD you mostly hear about loose stools.  It is also typical I think of IBS.  I suppose it only takes a day or so of harder stools to flare up  DD, IBS or hemmeroids.  Your comment about urine ring true with me that is what my gp said irriation from the constipation (did not know I had DD at the time) but of course the DD as well.  Do you have any suggestions re diet I know everyone is different though.
    • Posted

I have had diverticulitis for 3 years and my poo is not like that, I think it affects people in different ways.  Even doctors don't have much idea about it.

• Posted

I am the same as you Had DD also polyp was told don't need an appointment for 5 years told to go see my GP Problem is my GPs don't really know anything about DD I went at Christmas having a really bad flare up the GP didn't seem to know what to do I am on antispasmodic tablets and albran this seams to be working for me. I don't have bleeding thank goodness. If I was you I would get an earlier appointment just to make sure you are ok I am 70 and I think I have had DD for years. I don't eat beef or fizzy drinks I try to not eat fried food Are you in the UK. I hope it settles down soon x

• Posted

Thank you Susan.  Glad to hear the antispasmodics and allbran are helping you.  I agree that DD and IBS as well are hard to live with.  Gp's as you say don't seem to know that much and they just say eat more fibre.  We know it is not as easy as just that and it is just trial and error.  I hope you will continue to do well and yes I am in the UK.

• Posted

From what I have read on here the USA seam to deal with it different to the UK they operate a lot were as the UK only do something in an emergency. They seam to have a better insight than UK Having said that I wouldn't want a operation unless I was really bad

• Posted

I agree with you Susan, I think surgery for me would be only if I were desperate, surgerey is not without risks.  There is a lot more research needed for this horrible disease.

• Posted

Susan, I go to the loo first thing in the morning and it has been very loose.  However since I have been taken Regucol from Holland and Barrett it has stopped.  It is amazing, I cannot praise it enough, I first heard about it on a diverticulitis forum, it keeps everything flowing smoothly. 

• Posted

I will buy some and try it. I am fed up of needing the loo. Maybe I could get my life back. Thank you
    • Posted

I used Regucol for about 12 months and it worked great,then I started getting loose again and my GP said the Fybogel was very similar so I take that now .Remember to drink plenty of water with it .The Regucol is Psyllium Husk and the Fybogel is Isphagula Husk .
    • Posted

The dr gave me fybergel but I only took it twice it made me feel constipated. I might try it again and see how I get on
    • Posted

You need to drink plenty of water or it does constipate you .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.