how to tell hypothyroidism from hyperthyroidism through blood work.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I got my tsh and only t4 free drawn. Tsh came low .8 uiu/dl and my free t4 came out to1.12 ng/ml.. I have headaches ,migranes and feel tired fatigued and drained, muscle cramps.... I'm 24 yr old 200 lbs 6feet bulk built... outside doss not show I feel sick but my inside of my body does...

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Dear Jeff

I take it that you are in the UK because yur thyroid profile was skimpy.

Jean

• Posted

No from vegas nv, I went to my endo cause my testosterone was low and my estrogen was high...I wish I can take pictures here of my blood work but we cant.... got diagnosed with hypogonadism and they wanted to put me on steriods like hcg shots and estrogen blockers...if i probably took this i would probably be ripped... but my body feels like crap my endo is trying to rule out if it primary or second hyporganism like if something is wrong with my pituitary gland... but it's my thyriod I feel that is the problem last time I went to the ER my tsh was low as well since in the ER they don't take T3 or T4...
    • Posted

Hi Jeff

Can you get these blood tests done thrrough a private blood testing Company?

They sometimes do special packages at reduced rates.

Jean x

• Posted

Hello Jeffcc:

I am an RN and live in the USA and  I replied in an e-mail to you. Just wanted to let you know I saw your post here.

Shelly

• Posted

It sounds like a thyroid problem but you need more blood tests doing

I HAD A LOW tsh in May, August but was diagnosed as subclinical hyperthyroidism. The levels can vary and then you have a fluctuating thyroid problem. However I do not know what the treatment for this is. I have 29 nodules on my thyroid .

Jean

• Posted

That should read 20 nodules on my thyroid.

No biopsy. ?Why.

Thyroid care hopeless in England.

Jean

• Posted

Hey patient info always blocks my messages idk I send u one with good info
    • Posted

Jeff Send e mail via private messaging facility. Jean
  • Posted

Hi jeffcc, you seem to have a few things playing up so it's not surprising you feel rough. Can you post the range that goes with your TSH result? In UK the range is usually 0.4-4.9, but it depends on the lab and the equipment used. So Iin can see, that in the UK you would be at the low end of normal for TSH and would be bordering on HYPERthyroidism. Do ask for a printout of your blood test results so you can see for yourself. However, free T4 also seems low (again range is needed to know for certain) which would suggest HYPOthyroidism. So these two results are contradictory. So it looks like there may well be something else going on. hypogonadism is outside my sphere of knowledge - have you researched it? There may well be value in posting on another forum as well but I don't know which one to suggest. If it were me I would research what the doctor's think it is, as a starting point on where to go next. All the best.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara idk I think I was just given this terrible disorder or disease. Doctors here I'm America sucks And can't diagnose me Even if I showed them the proper paper work no body want to even treat here in America which gives me no hope.. I declare my self a dead corpse walking without life...i feel as if my body is shutting down slowly...I am honestly scared of death....since I seen a lot of people die when I worked in corrections as a correctional officer here in nv, but I grown to see if this is how God wants me to live my journey I hope he take me soon... I just hate being this way.... this blurry vision, black out, fatigue / weakness / headaches and migraines makes me feel like am person caring a life sentence left for dead...... I would never wish this apon no one....
    • Posted

Dear jeffcc, Have hope. There are good and bad doctors in boht UK and US. The way out of this is twofold: firstly keep looking for one of the good doctors; and secondly, do the research yourself so you know when you've found one! And can converse knowledgeably with them. Research the original diagosis and recommended treatment. Discuss with a GP who is comfortable working with you (some just like you to take what they say as gospel and not question).
    • Posted

Have you had your vitamin and mineral levels checked? It's always worth knowing the simple things are normal.
    • Posted

It is getting some of these drs to do these tests  that is the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.