How to tell if gastritis is healed

Posted , 7 users are following.

How can I tell if I have healed my gastritis and if this acid is a rebound effect from the PPI's?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Ask for an endoscopy to see if the gastritis is still there.  You can get acid rebound if you have come off PPis too quickly.  Normally you should come off them slowly to avoid this.  If you have come off them gradually, but you stll have acid, see your doctor.
  • Posted

Only way to confirm if gastritis is still present or not is with endoscopy. However doctors probably won't refer you for one unless it's been at least 6 months since diagnosis.

Ppi's aren't good, I found they made my symptoms worse. I used Zantac and diet to heal and now I am off all medications and just a couple of natural supplements now and then. Still have to mind my diet but no pain anymore and feel much more 'normal'.

If you are on ppi's then come off then slowly. Lower doseage a month at a time. You will prob feel worse for a couple of weeks or so until acid balances out

• Posted

not sure how to tell. i had gastirtis for awhile long with other problems with my galbladder and stomach ontop of it. I did find that activated charcoal was really helpfull when having problems with acid tho.
  • Posted

Hi I am going thru exactly what you were right now...i feel like I'm getting better but I'm not sure when to let the protonix go...i know I should ween off them...whats your status now? Any help would be great I'm scared to back track smile

• Posted

How long have you been on ppi? It's normal to be on them for 6 months or so. Then by then you should be healed enough to slowly come off them if you've kept to a strict enough diet.

You need to slowly ween off them though

• Posted

Hi there what is s good weening schedule. I have been taking these since Feb 2017 about a month before i had my gallbladder removed for low functioning. I was diagnosed with mild gastritis my symptoms were heartburn but i don't know if it was all brought on by the gallbladder.

• Posted

Hi

I have recently been put on omeprazole as I had a bad reaction to naproxen last Thursday. I have been taking omeprazole since Monday so I’m on day 5. Just wondering, gastritis hasn’t officially been diagnosed but I was having extreme stomach and middle back pain because of the Naproxen the day after taking just two tablets. I immediately came off them and am hoping it’s more of a mild irritation as opposed to a chronic case. What I’m wondering is. Obviously it’s still very early to just stop taking them. Plus it’s probably not a good idea to stop as any severe pain brings on anxiety. I was only prescribed 28 omeprazole capsules. So do you think I should take the entire does everyday, then switch to something else? Or should I start to ween in a week or two? 

• Posted

I would stick to the dose that your doctpr prescribed and finish the course.  If no better after the tablets are finished, see your doctor again.
    • Posted

Thanks pippa. 

I had a good day yesterday. Thought I was on the mend but have felt extremely ill today, achey, tired and had diarrhoea. So thinking I may have eaten something that didn’t agree with my tummy. I haven’t been vomiting but have had on and off nausea. One thing that is really obvious though is my tummy makes lots of bubbling noises, and I’m experiencing some mild pain in my lower back. No fever, but I have felt very cold today. I have no idea what is wrong with me. However I am feeling very down about the outlook of this situation at the moment. So will keep plodding on and take the omeprazole and keep eating bland food. Hopefully it’ll get better soon. Many thanks. 

• Posted

The stomach can take a while to heal and you will have good days and bad days.  Try not to get anxious because it will aggravate your stomach more. Keep going back to your doctor for diagnosis to get reassurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.