How viable are sperm 1 month after a vasectomy if only 2 previous ejaculations before intercourse?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Need to know if 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th ejaculation after Vasectomy contain many ALIVE FERTILE MOTILE SPERM. It occurred 1 month from procedure. Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You've asked this before and yes there will be active sperm. It takes 3 or more months to be clear and is confirmed by a sample that is tested.

• Posted

I did ask a similar question weeks ago. However, I realized all the people I was asking this question to were going by data that basically says a man isn't cleared sterile until there are NO sperm in the ejaculate. Motile or Immotile. They don't want to see ANY sperm before clearing any man so they tell them to use protection for the next 3 months before the first sample. Doctors don't want to take any risks. I get it. But there is basically a zero chance of a sperm that can't move on it's own fertilizing an egg. So I had to rephrase the question. And I've searched the internet for weeks and there is just no data on this. But thought maybe there'd be a urologist out there who personally has done an analysis 4 weeks post vasectomy to know. So I really just am curious that if a man submitted a semen sample at 4 weeks post vasectomy with few previous ejaculations, what that sample would look like under a microscope. I am curious if it would look just like any other man's sample who did NOT have a vasectomy or if it would be not enough sperm to be considered fertile...or if there may be a few viable ones but mostly dead ones. Etc. 

• Posted

Same answer as before really.

There is a moderate too high chance that live sperm will be in the tubes / body.

This is why they recommend x number of ejaculation before sexual activity (and a sperm count test) to ensure any live sperm have been previously ejaculated and the current ejaculate is sterile.

Given time lapse between previous request and this I'd have thought a pregnancy test could have been used if that is the concern.

Put another way until x number of ejaculation and sperm test has been completed any sexual activity should be treated as having a moderate to high risk of pregnancy

• Posted

I did ask a similar question weeks ago. However, I realized all the people I was asking this question to were going by data that basically says a man isn't cleared sterile until there are NO sperm in the ejaculate. Motile or Immotile. They don't want to see ANY sperm before clearing any man so they tell them to use protection for the next 3 months before the first sample. Doctors don't want to take any risks. I get it. But there is basically a zero chance of a sperm that can't move on it's own fertilizing an egg. So I had to rephrase the question. And I've searched the internet for weeks and there is just no data on this. But thought maybe there'd be a urologist out there who personally has done an analysis 4 weeks post vasectomy to know. So I really just am curious that if a man submitted a semen sample at 4 weeks post vasectomy with few previous ejaculations, what that sample would look like under a microscope. I am curious if it would look just like any other man's sample who did NOT have a vasectomy or if it would be not enough sperm to be considered fertile...or if there may be a few viable ones but mostly dead ones. Etc. 

• Posted

Plenty of reported cases of men who have sexual intercourse, without protection, within weeks of vasectomy getting wife / partner / girlfriend pregnant - so I guess that indicates sperm are quite mobile, very fertile - but this is a small sample set given many do the sensible thing and either wear protection or abstain until all clear

Whilst spontaneous reconnection of tubes is rare is does happen and again it has a higher occurrence in set periods hence the test for sterility at set points - a man with zero sperm / mobility at say 4 weeks could also become highly fertile down the line...but tis rare!

I think I see what you are trying to get at though, it is not so much the chance of pregnancy just what differentials there would be a vasectomised (read butchered) man versus non vasectomised at set points int he process?

f so then I doubt very much you'd find data as most Dr's urologists will wait until their defined point in time or number of ejaculates has passed - and given expense to patient I suspect most men would not want to pay for extra tests.

If above is the info you are after then I'd suggest approaching a hospital (not individual patient or Dr's / consultants) that is both a centre for the procedure and a university / learning hospital. These tend to do a higher degree of research and may hold some of the info you are after or at least point you in a better direction.

You're question may still need much rephrasing as it still comes across as a worried spouse kind of thing

• Posted

Use protection until the follow up test is done. In some cases it can take a year.

I was butchered 5 years ago and never at. I was clear at 3 months but the damage has ruined our sex life and I'm on testosterone replacement. Worst decision we made.

You are just going to have to wait until your partner gets the all clear. Just be hopeful he doesn't get PVPS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.