How was your TKR procedure done?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I thought it might be interesting to see what the different techniques are currently around the World and within each Country. If you reply please can you state which Country you are in.

So here in Essex in the UK my surgeon's approach was:-

A spinal anaesthetic with a level of sedation of my choice - which was sleep, at least till near the end ! Interesting to wake up and hear them talking about closing up the wound and golf, a conversation I joined in. I believe he also injects the joint with something like the dental numbing drug Lidocaine. So it took under two hours and I was wheeled back to the ward after an X-ray. I felt great but slightly unnerved by being paralysed from the waist down. This gradually went away in the next couple of hours. No catheter so a bit of temporary loss of bladder control but a small price to pay. There must have been some sort of "high" drug in the mix because that night I got no sleep as I was so euphoric about getting through the op and had no pain. I was kept in for a further two days till I could get down stairs on crutches. Pain management was basically, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Cocodeine taken together every four or maybe six hours. Pain was never unbearable, just uncomfortable with some loss of sleep at night at first but not too drastic. 

Dave

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Forgot to say.....was given Oxy and Valium in surgery center.  Was sent home with both.  Valium was for muscle spasms.
  • Posted

Dave, improvement depends on so many variables.....age, type of implant, weight,, and activity level to name a few.  I was given a 30 year knee replacement device called Verilast.  It is suppose to mimick a normal knee.  I am 55 years old and was very active and fit prior to surgery.  

Pam

• Posted

Thanks Pam. That's useful. Had slowly degenerative OA for probably 25 years or more from sports injuries and menicus removals in the 1970's!

I still forced myself to play sport despite the eventual inability to bend or run and in the end had to give up golf as couldn't walk the course. I'm 66 now and I reckon I'll get back to golf if nothing else based on

the last 8 weeks post TKR.

Dave

• Posted

Dave,  OA is the reason for my tkr also.  Pain with the bone on bone caused me to have mine done.  I was happy to know the other knee is good for now, has plenty of cushion.  

We we are all different, with different reason and levels of deterioration causing the need for tkr.  I am glad NOW that I had this done.

pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.