How were you diagnosed with Crohn's?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm sure you've answered it a million times on here, but I wanted to know: How long you've suffered with symptoms before actually telling a doctor?

Did you ever seek out a second opinion if necessary? Did you find it beneficial?

How long have you had Crohn's?

What method was used in your final diagnosis of Crohn's - as in when did they finally see it and tell you that's what it actually was?(colonoscopy, x-ray, ct scan, etc)

Were you ever incorrectly diagnosed with another disease before Crohn's? If yes, what was it?

Any other input you have would be useful. I find myself looking and looking everywhere online for answers, but I know that will only lead to more confusion. I'm in the middle of trying to find the answer as to what is going on with me, with my GI. I've had a colonoscopy done last September that showed Diverticulitis and a benign growth. Had recurrent symptoms, including blood in stool, so she had me try antibiotics again thinking it was Diverticulitis again. That seemed to make the symptoms subside for about 3-4 weeks. They came back again, and I decided to just do a liquid diet, and try to fix it on my own so I wouldn't keep taking antibiotics. I expressed this concern to my doctor, and she agreed she didn't want to keep doing that as well. So she ordered a CT Scan, which came up clear and an x-ray of my upper GI(small bowel series) that was done yesterday. She said during my recent appointment with her that my symptoms sounded like UC, and that it could have been in remission when I had my colonoscopy done. I know I'm posting here in the Crohn's discussion, but according to her she's trying to rule out both of them. I was hoping someone else's story might provide some insight. I don't know what it is, but I'd like to start getting better. 

Thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had symptoms since 2008 when I had my first colonoscopy and I was told I did NOT have crohn's. Then in July of 2014, I was finally officially diagosed with another colonoscopy. Since then, I've seen a gastroenterologist and he's tried multiple medications. He finally started me on infusions of remicade, every 8 weeks. During these 8 weeks, I still have flare ups and take prednisone intermittently for them. This last time I'm on my third flare up since my last infusion so my dr started me on Methotrexate...which scares me. I've only had one dose, 20 mg every Friday and I go for an infusion tomorrow and then every 6 weeks instead of 8. I feel like he's tried everything and is just dealing with my flares as they come without really making an effort to stop them from happening, so YES I am going to another city for a second opinion on Thursday this week.

?Hope everything works out for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.