How would you describe depression?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi people. I used to suffer quite a bit from depression but since starting University I seem to have overcomed it with only mild bouts. I have chosen to do a photographic project on depression and was interested in asking you guys what imagery and colours would you associate with depression? Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well I have called what I am going through my darkness so black so id start with black and white photos black to describe the down and white for uplifting and better
  • Posted

I would say Grey as everything seems dismal and Grey when i am feeling depressed.
  • Posted

Thanks for yous replies so far. Also, if you had to fill up a room with props which resembled your depression, what would you see?
  • Posted

I see it as mind laziness. It's akin to walking in a desert, a sort of chronic mind-fatigue. A bully with a jumped up sense of self-esteem. (The inner critic)
  • Posted

Black, black, black hole or abyss.  No objects no props emptiness
  • Posted

From personal experience, I find everything fuzzy in an out of focus kind of way, i imagine a doorway with the words "happiness" written on it, and a person on the other side of the room weighted down so they can't get out
  • Posted

Thank you so far for the suggestions. I would be happy to share the photos with you when they are completed. If nobody minds answering, I am interested in hearing how far into your depression you are to come up with this imagery.
  • Posted

I am not telling nobody about my depression, trying to hide it. But when I am alone I look far away. It is like not beeing alive, just staring in nothing, I would say this empty way of staring in the emptyness is characteristic for me. To make this picture of someone like this would be dificult. In this depression moments I am not able to look at the people, to make a visual contact with them. I just look down. And I am hiding. At home, I try to cook and it is moustly a mess, like flower everywhere and nothing done, and I just keep mixing some things together...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.