How would you interpret this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am a 19 year old female who has been suffering from heavy/irregular periods since the age of 14/15. My most recent period started early august 2018 and finished end of december. The bleeding was non stop so when I was booked in for a blood test I assumed that my iron levels would be low. However the results showed that my iron levels were fine and that I had normal levels of it stored in my body.

To make things simpler, here are the results from my CBC (btw my doctor didn't write down my RBC for me but they were normal):

Hb= 97

MCV= 88.4

MCH= 26.9

MCHC= 304

HCT= 0.319

Platelet count= 370

WBC= 6.99

Folate=8.4

B12= 573

Ferritin= 37

The doctor I spoke to says that I am anaemic due to low haemoglobin but she wants me to have further blood tests because she believes that iron deficiency is not the cause. However I would've thought that the huge loss of blood would've been a key factor so I am very confused. My family have no history of having any blood disorders such as Thessalamia and Sickle cell etc. Is there anything I can do to raise my haemoglobin? I have been feeling exhausted, unable to complete minor excersises, low mood, coldness etc. So does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the cause?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As weird as at might sound anaemic women can have heavier periods as a symptom but the cause not be the heavy period.

You can eat meat, spinach etc. However you need your iron levels also tested.

It sounds like you are in good hands.

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry about the way you are feeling and what you are going through. it can be very distressing,

i would advice you follow up all possible medical investigation to find out the course and get treatment.

i was in the same situation a couple of years ago and it came out to be fibroid. you can also check for that.

Also i will suggest a very good book on IDA with no clinical jargon that will give you tips and ideas on how to manage your symptoms., what to eat to help boost your levels and other useful information.

its on amazon

Overcoming Anaemia , My experience, plus tasty iron-boosting recipes and tips for vitality.

i wish you good health and hope it all goes well for you soon.

regards.

Lady C

• Posted

if you told your doctor about your periods being long and heavy and she has ruled out that as a cause of low hemoglobin then i can see more testing is totally important. do get yourself checked up by a gynocologist though because you shouldnt be having those heavy periods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.