HPV or skin tag? Small white bump(s) on shaft

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few days ago I noticed this raised whitish / hypopigmented nob the shaft. Saw a PA who said it looked like a skin tag but I am obsessing over it still. Also maybe noticing upon magnification some smaller similar ones within the hair at the base. Please help - I am stressing over this insanely.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Bumps, spots and pimples are not skin tags, so where the term skin tag came from I'm not sure. Does the PA know what they are talking about, or perhaps you misunderstood what they were trying to explain? The only time you need to stress is if you took risks during sexual activity ...... ?

• Posted

Yes had sexual contact recently. Does this look like HPV or is there an alternative explanation?

• Posted

I suggest you do a search and check out the following terms:

• mayo clinic - hpv infection
      • and
      • mayo clinic - genital warts

.. you may be able to draw your own conclusions from those details.

We are unable to post external web site addresses on here that is why you need to search for the pages!

• Posted

Yes, I have done a great deal of my own googling, and decided that was a distinct possibility, of course. What is your opinion?

• I will say that I have now seen a second PA at a derm clinic who also assured me it did not seem like a wart, but excised it at my request anyway and is sending for biopsy.
  • Posted

If you are talking about the small raised bump / spot 2/3'rds from the base of your penis I would be very surprised if this is anything untoward - looks more like a normal lump, bump, come spot to me. What you most likely have at the base is a mixture of Fordyce Spots or irritated hair follicles ..... = nothing to stress over ...... !

• Posted

Thanks Dugie. Biopsy will get to the bottom of it. Here is a closer up image of the spots down the bottom. Red spot on left is the excision wound. Hopefully this whole thing is just the result of me never paying this close attention to my junk. I'll let you know what comes of the biopsy.

• Posted

did you ever find out what is was? i think i have the same problem

• Posted

I think as most Urologists would tell you, although the appearance and visual symptoms can be very similar, often the cause of why this has occurred can have a number of potential causes.

This is why it is best to seek a diagnosis from someone who is knowledgable on the various potential causes, this is why going to a sexual health service, or an actual urologist if you can is the best source of detailed and knowledgable opinion .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.