hrt

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I Am 39 years and I have just started hrt due to peri menopause, I started them today so pretty nervous, getting reviewed in 3 months, so I am hoping I get on ok with them

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

Don't worry about being on HRT - I have been on mine since I was 28. It's like anything - you have to give it time - and if it doesn't work for you - try another one. Took my doctors a few times to get mine right - I can't even remember the first tablets I was on as they were like the pill and I took them 21 days and had 7 off - they didn't work for me. I ended up on climagest - firstly on 1mg then 2mg as my hormone levels were non existant! I have a monthly 'bleed' with mine - some you don't. Made me feel much better - and I am still on them 17 years later!

• Posted

Thanks glennie

Its good to hear that it has helped you and that im not the only youngster going through it lolxx I am sure they will help me too, im on elleste duet at present and will have a monthly bleed with those xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa!

I am sure you will feel great in no time! HRT makes me feel normal! Before I was on it I turned into a mood swinging, hot flush horror! Much calmer these days :-)

• Posted

Hi teresa. I've been on HRT since 1991. I have found it has changed my life. I'm 61 and I'm told I don't look it. My skin is almost wrinkle free and I put my general well being down to it. The only thing to remember is you still do have menopausal symptoms when you stop taking it unfortunately. When I first started taking it they thought that wouldn't happen but over the years they have realised it does. But good luck and I hope you feel well on it.
    • Posted

Thankyou

Hope I look as good as you sound when I am 61 xxx

• Posted

I'm sure you will teresa. It's been a god send for me. Good luck
    • Posted

Matron are you still taking it?  I am 58 and have been on it since 53. Trying to wean, down to 5 a week, but not feeling good.  Doctor says I am not ready to come off it then.  He hasn't suggested weaning, he says one day you will forget to take it and then just stop.  I don't agree, from what I am reading there is a downside to coming off, which I did not know about.  If so I think I will stay on them for the rest of my life cannot will not feel like that crazy emotional foggy mess, if I don't have to.  Any thoughts?

• Posted

Hi loretta. Yes I'm still taking one a day at the moment but I haven't got many left so it will be one every other day from next week. Been on HRT since 1991 so I'm absolutely dreading it. My GP won't prescribe any more so I'll just have to cope. I agree there's no reason to stop. If I start to have awful symptoms I will try (or even beg) to get a GP to prescribe again. You read about women, particularly in America who take it until the day they die, which is usually in their 90's so it must do some good. The Royal College of Gynaecologists did some research that says over 60's should still be prescribed HRT but at a low dose.
    • Posted

What is the reason your GP will not prescribe to you?  I am in the US and I hope I do not run into this problem.  Why do they prescribe it and then choose not to when you the patient haven't any issues taking it. They encourage us to do so in the first place?  Doesn't make sense. Please keep in touch and let me know how you make out. My plan is to wean 1 pill every 3 to 4 months as long as I am not too symptomatic. If I am staying on it. Bless you and hope you do well.
    • Posted

Hello loretta. You make so much sense and you're absolutely right if it's doing me no harm then why stop prescribing it? I've been thinking about this seriously and I've decided to take some of this research to my GP and have a full and frank discussion with her. I'm a young 61 and despite my rheumatoid arthritis I'm quite fit. Thank you so much for your support and wise words x
    • Posted

Good luck Marion. I think it should be your choice. For whatever that is worth . Let me know how you make out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.