HRT

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have recently been put onto HRT and it's helping as I was feeling really strange and getting so forgetful and no concentration, couldn't get words out at time, terrible fidgety legs etc.etc. But my periods are really regular the doctor says I am fully in the menopause but I'm wondering if the HRT will prevent the process of stopping my periods? Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello menapause is when you have had no periods for 12 months if you are having periods can't understand they gave you hrt

• Posted

Hi Diane the doctor did a blood test and said I was in menapause I'd only missed one period over the last 6 months and the rest have been more regular than ever, I wish they would stop!  The HRT has stopped all the other symptoms and I feel much better in that respect but was a bit concerned as they put me straight onto 2mg instead of 1mg which I was a bit concerned about as well... I just assume they know what they are doing!

• Posted

Taking HRT makes you have regular periods a bit like being on the pill, I have them every month regular as clockwork. This will continue if you keep taking HRT. My periods stopped but I was feeling really bad with other symptoms and started to put weight on around my stomach which I hated. Since taking HRT I feel better but not my old self and have lost majority of the weight gain. My periods are very heavy and painful have been for the last 10 years. I am now thinking of having the coil fitted and taking a different form of hormone replacement. 
    • Posted

That's what I suspected, It's so difficult to know what to do for the best, it's good you feel better and have lost weight, I seem to be gaining which isn't helping either might look into taking a different HRT thanks Tunsc

• Posted

I'm taking prempack a low dose. yes your right it's very difficult to know what to do for the best. I've decided to do what's right for me now, why suffer? I was feeling really down and wasn't ready for it. I'm 53 but don't feel I'm 53 it was like being slapped in the face, I feel I'd be more inclined to accept it if I were 63. I feel I'm in control by delaying it, I feel the pluses outweigh the minuses. take care 

• Posted

Terrie, you are not in menopause if you are having periods. Menopause starts when you haven't had a period for 12 or more consecutive months. Perhaps you misunderstood your doctor or maybe quack because all doctors know that menopause, means no periods regardless of what your fsh may say.

• Posted

I'd like to correct you, and think you need to take into consideration that Terrie is on HRT which makes you have periods. This is what she was trying to  discuss. This lady was probably in the early stages of menopause and suffering by the sounds of things hence the reason her doctor has seen fit to prescribe HRT. I think you have misunderstood her question which I have already answered. 

• Posted

I wasn't referring to her being on hrt, that's a given. I was referring to her quack doctor telling her she's in menopause when she's clearly not. Btw, Im a retired nurse who worked in ob/gyn in a clinical setting.

• Posted

Good question. Good info. Thanks for posting. It is so confusing about what is best to do. So, if it just puts off menopause, does that mean the experience will be worse when you do go through it?
    • Posted

Hi yes taking HRT delays the menopause it doesn't stop it, hence the reason you still have periods. You can take for up to 5 years then should come off it so assuming that's the case your symptoms would start again, who knows if your symptoms will be better or worse. If anyone  on the forum has got insight into this please let us know. For those of us who suffer badly it's a better way forward, why suffer, for me the pluses outweigh the minuses, let's keep fingers crossed that new medication will be available by then? Some people responding are misunderstanding the question. Take care 

• Posted

Once you haven't had a period for 12 straight months you are in menopause. Not before that. You might want to have your Dr explain some things to you again.

• Posted

Lotti you have misunderstood the original question, please see my responses. 
  • Posted

Terrie, we're you still having regular 28 day cycles when you were put on HRT's? I'm not being nosey just trying to get it straightwink

• Posted

Hi lotti yes my periods are really regular I told my doctor this and he took blood tests. I was originally put on Estelle Duet 2mg but don't think they agreed with me so doc changed them to climage which were much better...I've been away for Christmas so haven't been on here for a while so apologies to anyone I haven't responded to and thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.