HRT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi  I'm new to this forum.   I, like many other women, decided a while ago that I would avoid HRT like the plague.  But I am now considering it due to feeling so bad.  I can't take much more of living like this.   I take black cohosh, sage, flaxeed oil and magnesium.  I am flushing more now than ever.  My moods and anxiety thankfully are not too bad due to the remedies I take but its just this god awful sweating and all that comes with the FLUSH.    I just want to know if HRT makes you gain weight and how long does it take to have any affect?   I actually feel quite desparate right now.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kay, i am taking HRT, like you the hot sweats in my case were just too much to cope with, My Dr at the time gave me HRT to help with this, with me it took 5/6 weeks to kick in, it was great when it did could actually go out feelng great ! Iwill say had to have them changed when i became postmenopausal, as then the anxiety came it was not nice. I had to stop my HRT in Feb due to a hysteroscopy & a polyp removed. This was because i was put out under aneasthetic, All results came back fine. I was off the HRT for 9 weeks ! After 6 weeks the hot sweats & anxiety came back really bad, I went thru all the questions with my GP & i am now back on them going in 7th week & feel back to normal. To me the benefits of HRT far out weighs the risks it's quality of life that's important. Myself living with those symptoms i felt i was unable to function as i should? Hope this helps let me know what you decide.

• Posted

Hi, I've been taking high strength Sage and Menopol Plus for 4 years that completely stopped the hot flushes. However, in the last month I've had other symptoms begin which my herbal supplements aren't helping with so was given HRT pessaries yesterday. I do sympathise with you as this is all so difficult x

• Posted

I will look up menopol plus, not sure what it contains.  I take sage but what strength is high strength I wonder.  If I could just minimise the flushes I think I would be fine.  I would love to know how you feel after using the pessaries for a while, side effects etc.   Its funny that for some people herbal remedies work on flushes and nothing else and other people, myself, find that it works for everything but flushes!  
    • Posted

The sage is 2,500mg. It's funny because I have to take both to stop the flushes. If I run out of either one, after a week the flushes start again! The only reason I've had to start the pessaries is because of atrophy which literally made it painful for me to sit down. Started them last night but even using lubricant I couldn't get the applicator in properly! To be honest, I'd even have put up with the dryness rather than take HRT but suddenly I've developed acne and anxiety attacks. These symptoms came out of nowhere and really floored me. After researching I realised that both are menopause related. So, after a gynae consult I've started the pessaries but they also want me to start on tablets. Just feel really fed up and haven't started the tabs yet!

• Posted

It's hard going being a woman that's a fact. I'm taking 400 mg sage so I'm going to take 2 a day now and hope.  I just really want to avoid HRT.  You sound like you have had a hard time. Hope you have a turn around soon. I don't mind admitting that sometimes I've felt like throwing myself off a cliff!  I wouldn't of course.  Regarding the dryness, well that's something I will put up with.  I feel sorry for my husband if u know what I mean? 

• Posted

800mg may not be enough as mine are 2,500mg per tab combined with 2 Menopol Plus capsules. That's the recommended dose on the packs and I do need both as one doesn't work without the other for me. Also they're very reasonably priced. As for the pessaries - I couldn't even insert the applicator properly. On instructions it says to insert to 10cm. Felt like saying that if that was physically possible for me then I wouldn't need the pessaries!!! Managed about 2cm so don't even know if they'll work. I get what you're saying about your husband. I don't think men can really understand exactly what we're going g through. Have you tried Replens? It's s non-hormone vaginal moisturiser for use every 3 days and there's also one for before intercourse. There's another one that I think is called Silk. Haven't tried them but friends of mine say they're very good.

• Posted

Hi Kay, I have been on Estrogen patches for 5 years but was advised to also take Progesterone to balance the hormones and help with other symptoms and stop/reduce chances of weight gain.  I have lost weight that I did not want to loose but feel so much better it is worth it. I am now increasing my Estrogen to try and put on some weight.
    • Posted

Well that's interesting- u lost weight!  So when i visit the doctor next week I will mention this to her.  It might be that not everyone would have the same weight reaction with estrogen and progesterone together?   Thanks for telling me that!  So are your moods etc fine with this?

• Posted

Hi Kay. I have been taking HRT for quite some time. It has helped me a great deal. I have tried a few different brands but always go back to Premarin as it seems to.suit me best. I have just switched to premique low dose which is premarin and medroxyprogesterone in a continuous dose as I am now postmenopausal. You should begin to feel better quite quickly. In my experience older GPs seem to have a better understanding of HRT. Re. Weight gain. I found that my appetite did increase so I watched what I ate. A healthy diet and exercise and you should be fine. Hope this helps you.
    • Posted

Hi Anne. Sorry to jump in but how quick did you notice improvement?

I'm starting elleste Duet 1mg as soon as my cycle allows and don't know what to expect.

• Posted

Hi Zoe 😊 I was on a much higher dose when I started HRT now they seem to start you on the lowest. Elleste duet comes in 1mg & 2mg if you don't feel any better on the 1mg ask for the 2mg these doses are still very low & should help you. Elleste is most like the oestrogen our own bodies make. I'm not sure which progesterone is with it. I think quality of life is everything. If you find it doesn't suit you don't be afraid to tell your GP but they usually like you to try it for three months,unless you are really struggling. I hope this is helpful. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.