HRT after gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone , just before my gallstones played up again I went back on to HRT , then noticed that it can irritate the gallstones so probably caused the inflammation again. 

What I want to ask is , do you think it's ok to go back onto HRT again  now I've had it removed ? will it upset my liver as that's where the bile is now coming from only ? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gilly!  Since having my gaul bladder op 6 months ago, i've been getting a lot of night sweats.  I went to my gp because of loose stools, and while i was there, told her about the night sweats, she was going to put me on hrt but said it can cause constepation, and other bad side effects, so didn't do so.  I'd check with your gp.  How are you now?  Val.
    • Posted

Oh no, I've been on it before , I need it as I suffer bad with sweats , and mood swings etc , it's fantastic but I wanted to find out if it will effect my liver now that the gallbladders gone. 

Im aware of side effects which I never had and I'm one of those that HRT suits. 

Im fine thanks still have right side pain if I overdo it but feel good. 

• Edited

My gallbladder problems actually started 6 months after I started taking oral HRT. I discussed the possibility of it causing my problems with my GP and she agreed with me. It actually states in the contraindication leaflet that gallbladder disease and stones can be a side effect of taking it. I have decided to not rush in removing my GB because I am not convinced that removal will be the answer to all of my problems.

My GP suggested that I come off the oral HRT and try the HRT patches, the hormones go straight into your blood stream as oppose to being processed by the liver. Her words were, we need to give your liver a rest because oral HRT puts quite a bit of strain on it. 

I have been on the patches now for 2 months and my GB pain has calmed right down, no where near as painful as before and I have also cut out all gluten and grains from my diet which has helped further. Gluten is a known killer of Gallbladders because of how hard it makes the digestive system work.

• Edited

Hi Joanne! Don't know if you read my reply to glly but I went to my gp because of loose stools.  I had my gaul bladder out 6 months, and since then have been having night sweats. She was going to put me on to hrt, orally, but said they caused too many side effects! She never suggested the patches.  What side effects do you have with them if any?  If you could let me know i might go back to her and suggest the patches.  Val.
    • Edited

Hi Val,

I don't have any side effects with the HRT patches at all. They are the lower 1mg patches but they suit me much better than the oral ones, on the oral ones I used to get horrendous headaches and mood swings. But these seem much more natural for me. My GP was keen for me to stay on HRT because I had a very early menopause so she was concerned about my bone health. Hope this helps...

• Posted

Thank you ladies for your replies , I can't do without my HRT but will talk to my doctor about patches instead of pills , as I said I'm ok on the estrogen only pills , I have had a hysterectomy , so are the patches different on the body ? What's the difference between pills and patches ? I thought it was just convenience  
  • Posted

Hello

my name is T

I am 5 1/2 years old. I have never tried hormone replacement for lack of the unknown. I had my gall bladder removed about a year ago and now I am experiencing prolapse, cystocele and I wonder has hormone replacement therapies helped anyone with these issues.

Need advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.