hrt, after you have had cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 65, having bad hot flashes & moody., I had cancer in 2009, they removed my right kidney., I did not have to have chemo or radiation.,

the dr told me i could no longer be on HRT.  

I am seeing my dr in May & requesting to go back on HRT., Any thoughts on this . just need a sounding board !!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I thought it was ok for you to take HRT despite your cancer. As far as I know it's only ladies who have had breast cancer and take Tamoxifen. 
    • Posted

Matron,not what I have been told by several Dr. I have moved to another state this past year, so I am seeing a new doctor in May . I am asking her to put me back on Her.
    • Posted

I only thought it was ladies who had suffered breast cancer were denied HRT but I'm probably not so up to date as I used to be. It's certainly made me want to research it though. In the UK doctors are advised to follow the recently updated NICE Guidelines (National Institute for Health & Care Excellence) when it comes to prescribing HRT and breast cancer is the only cancer mentioned in the guidance so reading it I would say here in the UK HRT would be prescribed in your case.
    • Posted

Well I am praying ,I can get back on it. Tired of all the hot flashes, moodiness.
    • Posted

I hope you can as well wanda. Why should we suffer. Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi Wanda, I've been on Estradiol since age 48, I'm now 68. I asked my OBGYN that very question a few months ago. I couldn't exist without HRT, but both my parents have had cancer so I'm worried what I would do. My doctor stopped me in mid sentence and said, "Only breast cancer" and ended the discussion right there. At least now I feel better and if I don't get cancer I'll take it from there.
    • Posted

Glad to hear that Judy, I'm hoping that's what the dr will tell me .
  • Posted

Dear Wanda

It's amazing how many women are still having hot flashes and mood swings, you and me included (68 yrs old). Although I was hesitant about taking anti-depressants, they have really helped stablise my mood so I can tolerate the hot flashes much better. I can't take HRT either (in my case proneness to blot clots because of a faulty gene), so I'm on Lavial and Cartia, a blood thinner. After 6 weeks I still have hot flashes. In the cooler weather I tolerate them better, however, and sleep quite well. I hope your doctor can help you manage all symptoms, Wanda. Best wishes for relief very soon. Hang in there!

• Posted

Helen93847, I have taken Paxil for hot flashes to,it did help some but I also gained slit if weight on it . I'm to the point now do I just keep gaining weight or just deal with the hot flashes .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.