Hrt and weight gain! Is it true that l will gain weight taken HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been taking elleste 1mg for 4 weeks now, l struggle with my weight at best of times I'm starting to feel constantly bloated and feel I'm putting weight on round my middle. My hot fuses have calmed down my mood swings and sex drive not improved yet am l being to impatient will l gain weight? I go to gym 3/4times a week and constantly watch what I eat. Can anyone recommend hrt that doesn't give you weight gain please

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi, iknow how frustrating it could be! but let me tell you my experience.. i went on miniville 4 months ago i weighed 112 at only 5`1. got on the HRT and had to go gluten and dairy free.(still today) because before i knew i was peri i started feeling bloated and i wasnt sure what it was so i cut out ALL dairy and gluten however im not siliac or dairy intolorant. im now weighing 104 for about i month now with a flat belly and i believe the dairy and gluten was adding to my misery., in most cases when your hormones shift they can makeyou sensitive to dairy and gluten and that can make your belly feel like you are 4 mths preg. so.. i cant really comment as if HRT is what caused it but what i can tell you that i found the solution!

give it a try for 2 weeks and you`ll see a major change , let me know good luck

• Posted

Yes, good idea...I became wheat intolerant 5 yrs ago and eliminated gluten (easier than trying to figure out what has wheat or not) and in my case did lose a little (didn't need to in first place) initially. Most recently had blood work done and found out I'm casein intolerant, so now all dairy goes as well. Wasn't a big dairy fan anyway, but do notice no intermittent bloating these days. May be due to removing casein. Thanks Terri!
    • Posted

Hi

I took on board what you said and just to let you know l almost immediately started following gluten and dairy free diet

1.found it very easy to follow

2 haven't had any dairy or gluten for nearly 3 weeks

3 have lost 6 lbs in Weight

4 absolutely no bloating

5.feel so much better in fact after approx 7 days felt better

so a massive thank you for your reply it's helped no end and am very grateful.

• Posted

yeaaaa! thats great see, im glad you put that to test and lost that weight , it helps by far not having all that extra weight , helps with dealing with all other symptoms that can come with peri ,and you wait and see there`s so much at least here in the US that you can get gluten and dairy free , also just remember that you still need fat , especially if your peri , i found that out with my hollistic dr.  your hormones to  balance properly need a good amount of fat ( good fat)  i eat 1/2 avocado a day flax oil or seeds etc...but i feel much better  now , considering all i had with this peri, but food is definetly a must , its funny cause i can take an emzyne pill to digest cassein(dairy ) but i choose not since my body feels  so much better without it in my system. good luck girl , great job! remember to take all your vitamins.
    • Posted

What can you advise on water retension so i don't have add another medication because i am already on to many and i don't want to add one that the urologist orderd because of being on to many meds anyway. 

• Posted

Well I don't have to much water retention , I mostly get a burning sensation on face bottom of feet and arms , and that's when I know I'm retaining fluid so I just drink weightless tea I drink lot of room temp . Water and within a few bathroom breaks I'm good ! (Diaretic tea),

Best of luck

• Posted

What kind of tea is diaretic is it all tea i have been holding water retension lately how do you get rid of it may i ask
    • Posted

I buy one called weightless I get it at the health food store , I drink it only when I feel bloated and then I drink plenty of water to make me go the the bathroom , and the tea helps to eliminate all sodium that you are retaining and you flush it out in your urine , theirs are also natural pills that you pick up at the drug store that are over the counter that are for bloating tdo to a menstraul cycle , and those work just as well.
  • Posted

I didn't take HRTs initially and gained 30 lbs and hadn't changed my diet at all. I used to be rail thin, now people tell I look better. Since going on the pill form of progesterone and I'm betting this is the actual cause, on meds for hypothyroidism, I have recently lost 5 lbs.  Most gain was around waist and hips which depressed the heck out of me. Hopefully another loss of 10 will help. But in my case, I wasn't on HRT and did gain. Good luck bevlar!

Annie xx

• Posted

There is no HRT that wiil help All HRTs have the side effect of gaining wieght 

HRTs are not a magic pill there is no magic pill that wiil take away our moods and anxieties why waste time trying to find a pill that works bcause its okay to have anxieties but we are wasting time on ourselves thinking we are dying or something is wrong with us why make ourselves more anxious and sick we need to stop worring and just let it pass naturally 

• Posted

Susan,

While I agree there is no magic pill that fixes everything, I respectfully disagree with your comment regarding all HRTs have the side effect of gaining weight. I am proof of that as I am on an HRT currently and am losing weight. It's the same for ADs, some people may gain while taking them and others will drop weight. 

It's fair to say that what works for one, may not another. It's ok that you have chosen to go through this time period and let it pass naturally. Others that visit here may chose a different course and it's not wasting time for them to go down this path using whatever medicine works for them.

This can be a difficult time for many and it's best to be gentle with ourselves and others.

Annie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.